    does anyone have this camera...do you like it?? what's the feedback??
    compared to the Kodak DX7590??

    tw

    GolfNut, Nov 4, 2004

  2. You might also want to look at the Panasonic FZ15 and FZ20 which are also
    image stabilised long zooms.

    BTW: there is a new newsgroup where this and other ZLR-specific topics can
    be discussed: rec.photo.digital.zlr

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 4, 2004

  3. GolfNut

    Linda_N Guest

    If you search the messages here you will see a thread where Brian (Kilroy
    something or another) talks about his and posts examples. He seems really
    happy with his Minolta Z3 purchase.

    With all the ultra zooms out now that have image stabilization at reasonable
    prices it would not make sense to purchase a long zoom Kodak without IS.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Nov 4, 2004
  4. I'll post something detailed tonight about my Z3 but at least I've finally
    got round to having the same tag at work & home!

    Brian, formerly known as Kilroy.

    Kilroy_Woz_ere, Nov 4, 2004
  5. :( at least I thought I had :(

    Brian Sheldon, Nov 4, 2004
  6. GolfNut

    Aerticus Guest

    Cool Brian (or ilroy)

    I wonder what the comparison between the FZs and Z3 is?

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Raises a good point! We need a test that objectively compares the
    image-stabilisation on these cameras. How good is moving the CCD versus a
    moving lens element, in the realisations we have today?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 4, 2004
  8. A few points to know first, I'm a complete amateur and take photos for fun
    but there's one main use for the cameras I've had, football. I started with
    a Sony P52, great 2M camera but didn't like being dropped. An insurance
    claim later (the reason I had to stick with Sony), I ended up with a P10.
    Great 5M camera in daylight and great with a flash but photos of a floodlit
    pitch where flash is banned, useless.

    So I started discussion about Panasonic FZ1's, I'd ordered one very cheap
    and was asking about it. 5 days later my order was cancelled, it had been a
    clearance item that they'd sold the day before I ordered it but forgot to
    update their system. That lead to a discussion about S1 IS and FZ20's, still
    going I think. I know someone who takes photos at the same games I go to and
    when I asked them what they used, it was an FZ20 so I checked their pictures
    closer than I had before, considerably better than my P10 but still some
    blurring. Then the Z3 was mentioned so I checked it out and I'm glad I did.

    The good points for me. Family photography, no problems. Managed quite a
    good collection of snaps for the album of the kids at home and play already.
    Not tried any close-ups with or without flash yet though - can't sit them
    still long enough! Football, couldn't ask for better. I've compared my
    photos taken at the same match as the FZ20 photographer and I have to say I
    think mine are better. Admittedly we haven't taken similar shots that could
    be compared but the full zoom shots are sharper on the Z3. One thing the
    FZ20 can't do, 15 shots in 1.5 seconds in 1600 mode :) which has produced
    some good action shots.

    I haven't managed to test 640x480 video at 30fps, I await my 1GB high speed
    SD card's arrival next week. The 15fps mode is good and you can zoom
    (slowly) while filming. Focus on videos is OK but sometimes loses it while
    zooming, I've yet to try the suggestion of manual focus for video.

    My photos are online, the latest football ones at
    http://www.tobas.co.uk/gallery/041030 and some local snaps taken on my way
    to work this morning ar just being uploaded to http://www.morecambe4.me.uk

    Brian Sheldon, Nov 5, 2004