Kodak's LS443 Camera *or* Kodak's Greediness at its Worst

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by enri, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. enri

    enri Guest

    My LS443 Kodak Digital camera failed all of a sudden, with no human
    neither intervention nor abuse of any sort after approximately 5000
    shots over less than three years

    The lens mechanism wouldn't retract. This is the infamous "Error #45"
    which I learned a posteriori, was a well-known common problem in this
    camera.

    A call to the KODAK service revealed that the camera would not be
    repaired by them, that the unit was no longer in production and that
    there weren't any parts available.

    "Management had decided that it was not in Kodak's best interest to
    repair this kind of problem in this particular camera"

    They offered to replace the damaged camera with a refurbished DX7630
    camera for $125.00 + $10.95 shipping plus the old camera shipped at my
    expense, i.e. roughly $150 for a refurbished, an euphemism for "used",
    camera available for about $250 new.

    I took the trouble to find out which part needed replacement finding
    out that the part in question is a plastic gear costing less than 10
    cents (I know this because I worked optical production issues at
    Lockheed Martin).

    What emerges from this picture is the image of KODAK as a greedy
    company which offered to the market a product having a design flaw for
    more than $500 without doing very much about it.

    The case of Iomega and its "click of death" Zip drive went to court
    eroding its customer base and driving down the price of its stock.

    Image buying a Honda Civic having a design flaw resulting in a
    transmission problem; the company refuses to repair your vehicle but
    offers a different *used* vehicle for half of the original price of
    the original vehicle.

    Kodak could at least had issue a warning to its customers of a
    potential gear problem; the problem was known to them shortly after
    releasing the LS443 to the market. If one knows that the camera has a
    gear problem one would not retract its lens so frequently to save
    battery power.

    This is not a "lack of parts" problem, it is simply too much effort to
    install the part. This "too much effort" is their own engineering
    fault, and the burden for it should not fall on the consumer.

    enri

    enri, Oct 3, 2005