    has used) one.

    Cheers

    John

    John, May 16, 2005

  2. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Frankly, I can't seem much reason to choose it over the DX7590.

    Ron Hunter, May 17, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    Purchase price?

    John

    John, May 19, 2005
  4. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I didn't look at the price. Is it that much different?

    Ron Hunter, May 20, 2005
  5. John

    John Guest

    Depending on vendor the DX7590 is anywhere between £50 and £70 dearer. The
    other thing I am taking into consideration is, I would ideally like the
    camera to use AA batteries and SD cards as I have a number of these with my
    existing 'point & shoot' camera.

    Cheers

    John

    John, May 20, 2005
  6. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I believe it does use SD cards, but not AA batteries. Sadly, Kodak
    seems to be moving to the Li-Ion type for longer charge life, and lower
    weight.
    I will have to see a comparison of the 7590 and the LS7xx cameras.

    Ron Hunter, May 20, 2005
  7. John

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings John,

    I have one of course as I work at Kodak. I can tell you that it sia great
    model and has a lot of nice features. Not sure what it is that you are
    looking for in the camera so hard to advise. Personally, if I were to be
    seeking a camera like this, I would simply compare the features. Consider
    what you are going to do with your camera for now and the immediate future.
    Weigh how much money you want to spend on the camera then check the
    features. You can then decide if the kind photography you plan to do will
    be enhanced by the features that the cameras you select will provide.

    You can match the cameras that Kodak offers at:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/compare

    For those of other makers review the facts about them and compare via paper.

    Another process that I follow is to compare images. These cameras use SD
    cards and so if you have access to one, you can take it with you when you
    visit local dealers and take pictures with the cameras that you are
    considering. Note something in the picture or jot down the sequence so you
    know which image is from which camera. You can then compare them later. Be
    sure you take a picture of the same thing under the same lighting.

    Good luck in your decision making, if you have any questions, let me know.
    I am usually around.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, May 20, 2005
  8. John

    ASAAR Guest

    That shouldn't be necessary if all of the cameras store EXIF data
    along with the pictures, which I assume they all will. Irfanview
    (free software) not only displays it, but can also copy it to the
    clipboard. I've only checked Kodak's LS753 and was surprised that
    the ISO setting wasn't included. Is this true for all of Kodak's
    cameras or just for some of them? It was also missing from the EXIF
    data produced several of Canon's cameras and Nikon's D70, but is
    included by all of the Fuji cameras I've checked as well as the
    Olympus E-300. The ISO setting would seem to be one of the more
    useful items, so I'm surprised that even though its inclusion is
    optional, it isn't included by all manufacturers. Here's the EXIF
    data stored by one of Kodak's cameras, downloaded from Steve's
    Digicam website:

    File: - . . .\Kodak LS753\100_0144.jpg

    Make - EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model - KODAK LS753 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    Orientation - 1 (top left)
    XResolution - 230
    YResolution - 230
    ResolutionUnit - 2 (inch)
    YCbCrPositioning - 1 (center of pixel array)
    ExifOffset - 504
    ExposureTime - 1/500 seconds
    FNumber - 5.6000
    ExposureProgram - 2 (program normal)
    ExifVersion - 221
    DateTimeOriginal - 2004:07:29 17:39:26
    DateTimeDigitized - 2004:07:29 17:39:26
    ComponentsConfiguration - 0 3 2 (CrCb)
    ShutterSpeedValue - 1/500 seconds
    ApertureValue - F 5.66
    ExposureBiasValue - 0.0000
    MaxApertureValue - F 3.36
    MeteringMode - 5 (multi-segment)
    LightSource - 0 (auto)
    Flash - 24
    FocalLength - 7.3000 mm
    FlashPixVersion - 010
    ColorSpace - 1 (sRGB)
    ExifImageWidth - 2560
    ExifImageHeight - 1920
    InteroperabilityOffset - 2746
    ExposureIndex - 80
    SensingMethod - 2 (other)
    FileSource - 768 (other)
    SceneType - 256 (other)

    ASAAR, May 20, 2005
  9. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Looking at the aperture, and the shutter speed, I am pretty sure that
    'ExposureIndex - 80 ' is the ISO setting....

    Ron Hunter, May 21, 2005
  10. John

    ASAAR Guest

    You may be right. But if so, who had the bright idea to translate
    ISO into ExposureIndex? If that was an attempt to simplify things
    for the typical Kodak camera owner, it missed the mark. Also weird
    is that whereas "ExposureBiasValue" is intermingled with the other
    exposure settings (shutter speed and aperture), "ExposureIndex" is
    included at the bottom of the EXIF data, between "SensingMethod" and
    "Interoperability Offset". I don't see any comparable term in the
    Canon or Nikon EXIF data that might have been used represent the ISO
    setting. Does your camera place its ISO setting information in the
    ExposureIndex field? It should be pretty easy to check, even if you
    don't have Irfanview installed.

    ASAAR, May 21, 2005
  11. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, it appears so. And, of COURSE I have Irfanview installed. It's
    about the first piece of software I add to every computer I buy. I also
    like the Faststone picture viewer, but Ifranview is like a comfortable
    old set of slippers.

    Ron Hunter, May 21, 2005