Kodak vs Fuji Camera's (CX6230 and A205)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hugh Cowan, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Hugh Cowan

    Hugh Cowan Guest

    Hello,

    I am looking at getting a basic / starter digital camera for my
    daughter for Christmas. I was looking between the Fuji A205 ($245
    CDN) or the Kodak CX6230 ($229 CDN) -- both share the same basic specs
    and are within the same price range. Anybody have any thoughts
    between them??

    I went to Black's Camera Store to compare the two -- the salesperson
    told me that both the Fuji and the Kodak (along with a slew of others)
    all had the same CCD device inside (all bought from the same
    manufacturer), but insisted that the Fuji provided better pictures.

    I am not sure how if they both use the same engine inside?? I know
    that a lot of people don't like Kodak camera's (most Camera stores
    don't even carry them), but I have used a Kodak DC280 (2 Megapixel)
    for the last three years and think that it takes great pictures --
    have had no problems with it.

    The salesperson obviously didn't like Kodak as he kept pushing the
    Fuji -- is Fuji generally a better choice than Kodak?? Although I am
    happy with my Kodak Camera, I just want to make sure that my case
    isn't a rarity (that they are usually lemons and I just got lucky) --
    I thought that Kodak was a better name that Fuji when it came to
    Camera's.

    The only thing that I have found negative about either when looking at
    reviews is that the Fuji, although it has a 3x optical zoom -- only
    zoom's in and out in specific increments (I think a total of 5 or 6
    steps) which could be a bit annoying if you can't get the right range
    that you are looking for.

    Anybody have any other comments??

    Thanks,

    Hugh

    Hugh Cowan, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Hugh Cowan

    Iconoclast Guest

    I was a little leery of the name Kodak, too. However, it does not matter,
    because practically all cameras are made in China, anyway.

    Also, Consumer Reports gave some very good ratings to Kodak cameras.

    I was faced with the same quandary: Kodak cs6330 vs. Fuji a210. The both
    have the 3x optical zoom and 3.2 MP. I chose the Kodak because it is
    considerably thinner than the Fuji. Also, the Fuji is extremely simple. The
    Kodak allows for rapid change to motion, distance, macro etc. The specs are
    almost identical.

    After discounts, I paid $ 120 at Target. Both cameras had the same price.
    You can't go wrong with either one.

    The Kodak is working fine. I substituted Paintshop Photo Album 4 (already
    had it) for the Kodak Easy Share program although the Kodak program works OK
    too.

    Iconoclast, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Hugh Cowan

    Iconoclast Guest

    Looks like my first message in response to this post did not show up. I am
    therefore repeating my post:

    I was a little leery of the name Kodak, too. However, it does not matter,
    because practically all cameras are made in China, anyway.

    Also, Consumer Reports gave some very good ratings to Kodak cameras.

    I was faced with the same quandary: Kodak cs6330 vs. Fuji a210. They both
    have the 3x optical zoom and 3.2 MP. I chose the Kodak because it is
    considerably thinner than the Fuji. Also, the Fuji is extremely simple. It
    has only one setting. The
    Kodak allows for a rapid change to motion, distance, macro etc. The specs

    Iconoclast, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Hugh Cowan

    Mike A. Guest

    First of all I think Black's is the about worst place to buy a digital camera. I've had nothing but problems with their snooty service and lack of product knowledge. Do yourself a favour and check out places like Henry's, Vistek, even Staples.

    I recently purchased a Kodak DX6440 camera and I absolutely love it. It takes fabulous pictures. This is my second Kodak camera, my first was a DC210 plus. I never had any problems with it and now my kids are using it. What I think is more important than the engine inside is the type of lens used. The DX6440 uses a Schneider lens which is the main reason why I purchased it, however it will be out of your price range. I'm sure either the Fuji or Kodak will do you fine, but I can see where the zoom increment in the Fuji would drive you crazy. Good luck.

    -MikeA

    Mike A., Dec 6, 2003
  5. Do not buy Kodak!! I just bought a Kodak 6230. The BIG downside is
    that the camera isn't automatically recognised by the PC as a drive.
    Instead, you need to install the Kodak software on every PC that you
    want the camera to talk to!!

    As of now the software they are shipping (Easyshare 3.1) doesn't
    install on Windows 2000 SP4. You need to go online and download
    Easyshare 3.2. Note that this is a web-install only, meaning you
    cannot download and cut a CD. If you want a CD of the Kodak Easyshare
    3.2, Kodak asks you to buy the software for ~USD 8.

    Its been two days since I bought a Kodak 6230 and I haven't been able
    to see the photographs yet (except for on the camera LCD). Dealing
    with Kodak customer support has been another annoying ordeal.

    Why doesn't the camera turn up like a drive without drivers just as
    other cameras do??

    I just bought Olympus C-750. It is great. My sincere advise, buy
    anything but Kodak.

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Hugh,

    If you want a decent "starter" digital camera try the Nikon CoolPix 3100.
    It's easy to use yet produces excellent quality pictures.

    However, if you're willing to spend a little more, Minolta's new DiMAGE G400
    is not a bad choice.

    Raymond Chuang, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Hugh Cowan

    Joanne Guest

    I never connect a digicam to my computer, I much prefer using a card reader.
    Faster and no drain on the camera batteries. Poorly designed software is a
    non-issue to me when deciding on a digital camera, there are several low
    cost programs you can get - and at least one free one I know about
    (Irfanview).

    Joanne, Dec 7, 2003
  8. But don't you think that manufacturers owe it to the customers to
    include software that works properly. And if its buggy then provide
    free updates that are accessible easily. Not monstrous ~18MB web-only
    installers!!

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 7, 2003
  9. Hugh Cowan

    Ronin 1 Guest

    jeez louise, everytime someone asks for advice on getting a new
    camera, you always push your precious Minolta.

    Did you read his original post??? He's obviously looking for
    something about US $150 or less. What's the point of suggesting a
    camera that's over twice that?

    Hey Hugh, how about this (in the same logic of Mr. Chuang):

    Get your daughter a badass Canon 10D. It costs just a little more,
    but it's not a bad choice...

    Ronin

    Ronin 1, Dec 7, 2003
  10. Hugh Cowan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I am very happy with the Kodak camera I have. It is a 2 mp with only a
    2x optical zoom, but the pictures are very sharp and the color is
    exactly what I see. I haven't had any problems with the camera. I
    would like a better zoom, and smaller size (which the 6230 has), but I
    can live with this one for a while longer. My wife doesn't even know
    how to change batteries in it, but she went on a trip and returned with
    103 pictures, all of which were good.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 7, 2003
  11. Hugh Cowan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You haven't said anything pertinent to the camera, or its function, only
    to your inability to get your oS to work with it. My suggestion to you
    is to buy a card reader and use it. If that doesn't plug and go, you
    have a problem with Windows and the USB driver. My Kodak camera is
    recognized by my XP machine, and by the Win98SE machine with the kodak
    driver, but I only use card readers for the extra speed and convenience.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 7, 2003
  12. Hugh Cowan

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Hugh,

    Actually, Kodak designs its CCDs and in some cases creates its own CCD
    imagers. You can review the details of Kodak work in CCD imaging by going
    to the following webpage. Actually, I believe the latest release of the
    Olympus E-1 digital camera uses some Kodak technology.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/imagers

    I am not sure why the clerk at the retailer was pushing for other cameras
    (he may make more money on them or likes the Fuji?). I can assure you,
    however, that Kodak cameras are as good, if not better than most. In
    addition to the quality that I know is in them, we offer the EasyShare
    System which I believe is a valuable feature. It allows you to enjoy your
    picture taking experiences and makes it easy to use your pictures. You can
    add email addresses to the camera, tag pictures for printing, and others to
    be favorites in the system. When you place the camera on its dock or
    connect it via a USB cable, this will be done. Check the following site for
    details on these options. As you know, by use of the DC280 model you
    already have, Hugh, Kodak cameras perform very well.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easyshare

    If you have questions, I am usually around and will be glad to help you.
    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 8, 2003