Kodak LS443 Camera Error E45

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hayworth, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. hayworth

    hayworth Guest

    Ron Baird:
    It's great that someone from Kodak looks at this group and offers help
    - I doubt other manufacturers do that. Actually I'm not sure that your
    comment that a firmware upgrade would improve things. It didn't for me
    at least.

    Background: My lens on my Koday LS443 failed for the second time in
    March 2005. There wasn't an error message that time - just clicking
    and failure to move the lens. They replaced the lens assembly, some
    firmware, and the rotary mode knob. They were very nice to do it for
    free even though it was 15 months since out of warranty and 15 months
    since the last time they repaired it. The other option was to trade it
    in for an LS753 for $125. I took the free option which was maybe a
    mistake.

    Current issue: Now (10 months since last repair) it has failed for the
    third time. This time it gives the "Camera Error # E45 See users
    guide" for a few seconds before the display goes off. It makes a
    slight buzzing / clicking sound and then quits. Lens stays out.
    Camera shuts off but lens does not retract. I guess I'll have to
    contact repair again. This time I might take the upgrade option and
    hope the upgrade camera doesn't have the problem also. Seems like an
    inherent design flaw in my model.

    The Kodak cameras are great. They have far and away the best menuing
    system of any manufacturer, the photos are great, the repair options
    are generous, and it's an American company, so I'll keep using Kodak
    cameras. I just haven't had great luck with reliability, but I've also
    heard worse things about some other manufacturers also so I'm not going
    to hold it against them.
    Mark

    1. Carolyn
    Mar 19 2004, 6:23 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    From: (Carolyn) - Find messages by this author
    Date: 19 Mar 2004 15:23:42 -0800
    Subject: Kodak LS443 - Error 45
    | Report Abuse

    I purchased a Kodak LS443 in February of 2003. I have just returned
    the camera for service for the second time. The problem is a lens
    related error (error #45). The lens will not open and the error
    displays on the LCD display. I am wondering if others have had the
    same problem...I'm beginning to think there might be either a design
    flaw, or perhaps a problem with my particular camera. I had a Kodak
    DC280 for 4 years with no problems, so am concerned with the recurring
    problems (even though they are covered under warranty).

    Thanks.

    Carolyn

    2. Ron Baird
    Mar 23 2004, 1:30 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    From: "Ron Baird" <> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:30:15 -0500
    Subject: Re: Kodak LS443 - Error 45

    Hi Carolynn,

    The Error 45 report you have seen on your camera is related to a lens
    issue.
    Something has caused the lens to jam or stop working. When it does you
    get
    the E45 error. You have already done the right thing in contacting us
    about
    your experience. Our online team should be able to help further once
    the
    camera is back and in our hands.

    Thanks for your patience while we analyze your issue.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    3. Ron Baird
    Mar 23 2004, 2:14 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    From: "Ron Baird" <> - Find messages by this author
    Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:14:56 -0500
    | Report Abuse

    Greetings Carolyn,

    I am posting this to you and Dave, another poster. Actually, the
    update
    will improve your results and likely resolve you getting additional E45

    errors? The firmware will:
    a.. Improve lens performance when lens meets with resistance during
    extension.
    b.. Fix issues with some types of SD memory cards.
    If you have an LS443 I suggest a download and install or install
    direct. It
    will improve performance and help deflect issues with lens resistance.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Give it a try and let me if it works for you.

    4. Carolyn
    Mar 28 2004, 8:12 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    From: (Carolyn) - Find messages by this author
    Date: 28 Mar 2004 17:12:34 -0800
    | Report Abuse

    Thanks, Ron. This is very helpful info. Right now my camera is back
    with United Camera for repair. As soon as it is returned, I'll get
    the firmware updated (spotted the update just after the latest problem
    with my camera).

    Carolyn

    hayworth, Jan 21, 2006

  2. hayworth

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Carolyn,

    Sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your LS443. One of the
    options of the updated firmware is to help the camera handle situations
    where the lens is restricted, i.e. in a pocket etc. If the camera is
    turned on in a restricted space, you may get this error.

    You can take advantage of the latest offer, by using the trade in
    option. I believe they will offer you a Z730 camera which is a pretty
    good deal. If you call we will help. Try 800 235-6325 and let them know
    of your past experience. They should offer you the trade in option.

    Thanks for the chance to help. Let me know if there are questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 30, 2006