Kodak, here's hoping/trusting you'll be gone soon...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pjp, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. pjp

    pjp Guest

    Blimy, I hate "design" when customers interests are secondary. Kodak's
    download mechanism is case in hand.

    It's a "Web Install". What does that mean you ask?

    Well everytime one wants to connect the camera to a "new/different" pc
    (visiting friends etc. as example) one must do another download. One can't
    simply download the installation file(s) the one time and save them tyo cd
    but instead one's expected to do it for every required pc.

    Now how's that in customers best interest? Geez, you'll send me a cd (if I
    pay) that has all supported OS on it yet cd comes with camera doesn't!!!!
    What message does that send?

    Same idiocy as camera is not natively seen as simply a removable disk drive.

    Kodak, that design doesn't make you money but instead costs you money, e.g.
    I'm not even looking at any Kodak digital camcorder(s) as you've already
    proven you can't be trusted.

    pjp, Mar 19, 2007

  2. pjp

    ray Guest

    Quite simple to pack an inexpensive card reader with the camera.

    ray, Mar 19, 2007

  3. pjp

    pjp Guest

    If that's the "fix" then include it with the camera is my frame of mind.

    pjp, Mar 19, 2007
  4. pjp

    Scott W Guest

    Most of use already have a card reader and would not want to have to
    pay for another one
    when buying a new camera. Sort of the same argument as to why DSLRs
    don't come
    with a memory card, most people already have memory when they buy a
    DSLR.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 19, 2007
  5. pjp

    KenJr Guest

    It's either your system or operator error. I have an XP system and both
    my DX6490 and P850 show up as removable drives when plugged in to the
    USB port. Of course it is a low speed USM connection and very slow.

    Why not just but a card reader? I can get a high speed card reader at
    Walmart for under $10. As an added bonus I'm not wasting the battery
    while downloading pictures. Also the camera isn't tied up so you can go
    shoot more pictures.

    KenJr, Mar 19, 2007
  6. pjp

    pjp Guest

    Hard to have "operator error" for this. And on 3 XP-Pro SP2 pc's here, they
    all demanded a driver before device was recognized.
    Spend more money to use product rather than fix a deficiency, that is the
    American way now isn't it. Something I personally detest and hope/trust will
    come back to haunt them in the future.

    pjp, Mar 19, 2007
  7. pjp

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Also, the necessary drivers are in all WinXP (and later) OS
    installations, so the only computers the cameras will not connect to are
    older Windows versions, and older Mac versions. Those constitute a
    rather small percentage of computers available, so the complaint is
    largely without merit.

    The Kodak software isn't anything to get excited about, and you will
    find transfers go much faster with a card reader.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 20, 2007
  8. pjp

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Ken:

    I own a P850 and DX6490 (among several other Kodak digicams), too.

    Small world, eh? <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 24, 2007
  9. pjp

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, PJP:

    Kodak won't be going away, anytime soon. ;-) You don't really need the
    EasyShare software, either, as your particular camera doesn't shoot RAW.
    (My P850 >does<, however, so that's why I installed the Kodak program.)

    As many newsgroup members have already advised you, merely buy a cheap,
    portable USB card reader, in order to transfer images to your PC (or to
    others' computers). Then, you may use any application(s) you desire, to
    organize and edit the pictures.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 24, 2007
  10. pjp

    ray Guest

    What does using Kodak software have to do with accessing raw? I have a
    P850 and use Linux. I generally read the flash card with a card reader and
    convert from raw using ufraw.

    ray, Mar 24, 2007
  11. pjp

    C J Campbell Guest

    Must be the Japanese way and the German way, too. Get a card reader and
    shut up.

    C J Campbell, Mar 24, 2007
  12. pjp

    ray Guest

    One of the first things I got with my first digital camera (about the same
    time as the NiMH batteries) was a card reader - it is much more convenient.

    ray, Mar 24, 2007
  13. pjp

    ASAAR Guest

    That's not a very nice thing to say. But as a reply to "pjp" it's
    entirely appropriate! If only Alley Oop could be called on to
    knuckle his head with a 2x4. :)

    ASAAR, Mar 24, 2007
  14. pjp

    Allen Guest

    I have no knowledge of the specific camera that has pip tied up in
    knots, but I assume that. like most p&s, it came with a whopping 16 mb
    card. I wonder if he replaced it, or is he connecting the camera to the
    computer every 3 or 4 exposures.
    Allen

    Allen, Mar 24, 2007
  15. pjp

    C J Campbell Guest

    Probably gripes when his car runs out of gas, too. Thinks it is the
    "American way" that you have to pay to fill your tank again.

    C J Campbell, Mar 24, 2007
  16. you are right!
    When using Win98a, I didnt have a problem installing and using
    EasyShare.
    When I tried to install Easyshare on a Win2k machine, it either froze,
    gave me
    error codes, and when it did work, the pics refused to upload.
    After numerous re-installs, it finally worked.

    plug-n-play bah-humbug!

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy, Mar 25, 2007
  17. pjp

    John Turco Guest

    <edited>

    Hello, Ray:

    Well, I run Windows XP Home, and EasyShare is the only program I have
    that can open and edit Kodak's proprietary KDC (i.e., RAW) files. In
    fact, it's one of the reasons I upgraded from Millennium, as WinME's
    EasyShare version couldn't do so.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 27, 2007