    anymore.

    Anyone knows which manufacturer got the Kodak license to produce Kodak
    Gray Card?

    t-photo, May 15, 2007

  2. Behr brand paints sold at Home Depot. They have sample cards free for the
    taking that are 18% gray scale. Grab a handful and enjoy.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 15, 2007

  3. t-photo

    Bob Williams Guest

    I used the Home Depot approach myself a few years ago.
    I took my Kodak 18% Gray card to Home Depot and had them scan it.
    Then I had them make up a quart of 18% Gray Matte paint .
    I then bought a sheet of Masonite and painted one side Pure White and
    painted the other side 18% Gray.
    Then cut the board into pieces 3.5 X 5.0 inches, just perfect for
    carrying in your shirt pocket.
    Large enough to get a reading from.....Small enough to carry everywhere.
    White side for White Balance...... Gray side for exposure.
    I gave a couple to all of my photography friends who thought it was the
    greatest convenience since sliced bread.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, May 16, 2007
  4. It's worth noting that this might not be *quite* the same as a Kodak
    grey card. The Kodak card's grey side uses a pigment that is chosen for
    spectral neutrality - i.e. it reflects about 18% of all visible
    wavelengths. Your home-made grey card uses a paint that appears neutral
    grey to the human eye, but might have a reflectance spectrum that is far
    from flat (particularly if the colour mixing machine used any cyan,
    magenta, or yellow pigment in addition to black).

    If so, it's probably not accurate for white balance, and might have
    some exposure error under lights that have a spiky spectrum
    themselves. The Kodak card's grey side should be good for white
    balance and exposure under any light.

    You'd have to do some tests under non-incandescent lights to see if your
    grey is equivalent to the Kodak grey.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 16, 2007
  5. t-photo

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings,

    The Kodak Gray Card was considered a 'publication' and it along with a
    number of other priced publications were sold to the Silver Pixel Press.
    They were produced by them for a time and eventually sold to Tiffen.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 16, 2007
  6. Wouldn't the color scanner or whatever they call it to read the sample color
    take all of this into account and compensate for this by changing the
    formula accordingly? My take on all of this is it really isn't as critical
    as some people like to make it out to be.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 17, 2007
  7. t-photo

    t-photo Guest

    It seems that Tiffen has supplied the grey card and other Kodak
    publication including film cleaner and tissue.

    So, any information about who will replace Tiffen for supplying these
    items?

    t-photo, May 18, 2007
  8. t-photo

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Rita,

    I know that the people responsible for this card when it was at Kodak spent
    many thousands of dollars to make sure it was exact and correct.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 18, 2007
  9. Thanks again for all your help.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 19, 2007
  10. t-photo

    t-photo Guest

    Dear Ron Baird,

    I have been told yesterday that Kodak Taiwan had sent someone to Hong
    Kong searching for Kodak Gray Card, Lens cleaner etc.

    It seems that there must be some problem about the supplies.

    Kodak needs to do something about this.

    fhtong

    t-photo, May 22, 2007
  11. t-photo

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings,

    Not sure if that is true as Kodak no longer makes and hasn't for some time.
    It was all turned over to Silver Pixel Press back in 1995 or so. I was an
    Editor for Kodak at the time and if I recall correctly, the card and a
    number of other priced publications wen that way.

    As to Lens cleaner, we also discontinued that a long time ago. There is a
    good site that does make cleaners etc. and you can get more information by
    going to http://www.photosol.com They have a relatively good product to
    clean lenses and screens etc. Worth a look. (not a recommendation of Kodak,
    just my reference)

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird

    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 22, 2007
  12. t-photo

    TryinToHelp Guest

    The best, and I do mean the absolute best, lens cleaner I ever found came from
    an unlikely source. It's marketed under the name of "Rexton Optyl-7". You can
    get it from www.sciplus.com for $4 for 8 oz. One bottle lasts forever. I divide
    it up into some smaller drop-applicators for myself and friends. I still have
    over half a bottle left after giving most of it away.

    This solution has managed to remove saps and bug juice that no other cleaner
    could touch. It's also the first one I found where a deeply multi-coated lens
    don't show any signs of streaks after cleaning. Most other cleaners always
    manage to leave some kind of minor residue that takes further attempts to remove
    it.

    p.s. Personally, I see no need for any gray-card these days. With digital
    cameras' ability to set white-balance off of any white sheet of paper, and
    built-in live histograms, what's the point in having one? Makes no sense
    whatsoever. A gray-card is just last-century's necessity due to lack of
    technology, now just a bad habit. Maybe they think they are impressing someone
    by talking about the quality of their "professional" gray-card? The blind
    leading the blind. An 18% gray-card today makes absolutely NO sense in today's
    digital camera's tools and necessities.

    TryinToHelp, May 23, 2007
  13. t-photo

    t-photo Guest

    Your information is good.

    Do you know the name of the manufacturer of Rexton Optyl-7?

    fhtong

    t-photo, May 24, 2007