Kodak DX6490- Problems ejecting SD Memory Card?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave K., Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Dave K.

    Dave K. Guest

    Hey gang-

    Lucky me- I just got a Kodak DX6490 for my birthday! I wanted to
    compare one behavior to determine if perhaps I have a defective unit.
    When ejecting the SD memory card, page 11 of the manual claims "To
    remove the card, push it in, then release it. When the card is
    partially ejected, pull it out"

    I observe no such behavior. My Viking 256mb SD card is correctly
    inserted per the manual, but the only way to remove it seems to be
    prying with one's fingernail and carefully pulling it out. The manual
    seems to be describing a sort of "spring eject" feature, but mine
    definitely does not do that. Anyone seeing anything different?

    Thanks!

    Dave

    Dave K., Mar 1, 2004

  2. Dave K.

    Craig Bailey Guest

    Use your fingernail to push it in. Some mechanisms have to be pushed in a
    little more than others.
    You'll hear an audible "click" and upon removing your finger the card will
    pop out about 5-8mm - enabling you to easily grab it without too much
    trouble.

    Craig

    Craig Bailey, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Dave K.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    My DX6440 also uses the SD card, and I would expect, the same 'eject'
    mechanism. I find that the card moves out only a very short distance.
    I can barely grip it with my fingernails to pull it out. This is one
    thing I really don't like about the camera. My older camera with CF
    cards ejected the cards completely out of the slot a few times.

    The 'eject' mechanism seems to be rather a push to lock, push to unlock,
    feature, rather than an actual 'ejection'.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Dave K.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Humm. Just repeated the process of ejecting an SD card, and the darn
    thing flew across the room! The difference, I used my fingernail to
    'flick' it from the front of the camera. Give that a try.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Dave K.

    JSN61 Guest

    mine ejects it approx 3/4 outof the camera
    need to ues an eraser off a pencilas i was blessed with fat fingers
    remove no spam to e mail

    JSN61, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Dave K.

    Dave K. Guest

    Thanks gang for the replies. Something is not right with mine then.
    There definitely is no eject mechanism working, and more troubling
    nothing that seems to positively hold the card in either.

    Guess it's back to the store for an exchange. :(

    Dave

    Dave K., Mar 2, 2004
  7. Dave K.

    Nibbler Guest

    did you try cycling it? if you pryed it out when it was in the lock postion,
    things may be out of synch.

    Nibbler, Mar 2, 2004
  8. Dave K.

    Nibbler Guest

    yup, something sounds wrong... could be a weak spring, could be a
    off-thickness card or slightly pinched slot... could be a sticker or sticker
    material came of card and into slot impeding movement...

    Nibbler, Mar 2, 2004
  9. Dave K.

    Nibbler Guest

    BTW, I never put the stickers on my cards - any format - I keep em'
    naked... (Had a problem once with SM jamming, then figured might as well
    never install incase of upside-down install scraping sticker across contacts
    or other mechanism, causing repeat or other issues as the cards get worn...)

    Nibbler, Mar 2, 2004
  10. Dave K.

    Dave K. Guest

    I cycled it several times, and I'm starting to observe what "might" be
    the correct behavior. But- here's the thing- it's so slow it's hard to
    say. If I press down on the card to "eject" it, it does so, but VERY
    slowly. From when pressing it down until it ejects is something like
    maybe 10 seconds. It very slowly emerges from its slot, as though
    something were dragging.

    It seems like other folks here were describing a more "positive"
    release. Does this sound right gang?

    Dave

    Dave K., Mar 2, 2004
  11. Dave K.

    Craig Bailey Guest

    Do you have more than one card to try?
    I have cards from the same manufacturer that seem to be different
    thicknesses. Both are 256Meg Lexar - bought them both from the same shop.
    Only visible difference is that one is blue and the other is black. The
    black one jams in my Palm and is stiffer to insert/eject in my Minolta Z1.
    It still works perfectly though.
    Maybe you have a similar issue with a "mongrel" sized card.

    Craig.

    Craig Bailey, Mar 2, 2004
  12. Dave K.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It should just 'pop' up. It may be that something is in the slot
    causing some binding. Take a light and check that out. Maybe a label?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 2, 2004
  13. Mine just pops out instantly.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    Melbourne, Australia

    given nor endorsed by it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Mar 3, 2004
  14. Dave K.

    c_e Guest

    I've also just got a DX6490. Not had any problems in removing the SD card -
    on pressing the card inwards it pops out by about a 1/4 of an inch, which
    makes it easy enough to remove by holding the top and bottom edges and
    gently easing it out.

    So far I'm very happy with this camera. It's my first digital (one of the
    things that attracted me to this particular model is the 10x optical zoom -
    and the good price I got it for) and it appears to have enough features to
    keep my interest for quite awhile to come!

    One gripe - at these prices there's *no* excuse for not including a
    *printed* manual. A .pdf on a disc is a cop-out. The last camera I bought
    also happened to be a Kodak - a cheap aps snapper that cost a fraction of
    the DX6490, yet it came with a proper manual...</gripe>

    coma

    c_e, Mar 3, 2004
  15. Dave K.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Are you sure it didn't have a manual? My DX6440 has one, but it was
    well hidden in the packing material....

    Ron Hunter, Mar 3, 2004
  16. Dave K.

    c_e Guest

    Have checked again - definitely no manual. The only paper that came with it
    was a folder entitled "Getting Started", which contained 2 cd roms, a
    setting-the-camera-up type leaflet an a 16 page glossy booklet advertising
    the accessories I can buy. The manual itself is a .pdf on one of the discs.

    I'm in the UK. Are you in the Us by any chance - maybe the printed manual
    only comes with the US version (a policy which sucks big style if that is
    the case - the Camera Dock is also not included in UK package)

    coma

    c_e, Mar 3, 2004
  17. Dave K.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I wouldn't be surprised if there is a difference. I would rather NOT
    have had the dock in my DX6440 package, since I already have the
    batteries it uses and a good charger. But you might enjoy the dock with
    the 6490. I find the manual online a bit more usable than a .pdf file
    on CD, but then I might NOT if I had dialup.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 3, 2004
  18. Dave K.

    c_e Guest

    Ah, I missed that you were referring to theDX6440 in regards to the
    manual...I ended up printing the .pdf out, but I do think that a printed
    manual should have come as standard.

    Not really missing the camera dock - it is easy enough to download pics onto
    my pc via usb.

    c_e, Mar 3, 2004
  19. Dave K.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Both the DX6440 and DX6490 have the same line as to the included user
    manual in the specifications on the kodak website. But the DX6490 is
    always bundled with the dock in US stores. Maybe they think you don't
    need a manual if you don't need the dock. I.E, you know what you are
    doing... I don't think the manual is on the CD I got, but didn't bother
    to check.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 3, 2004
  20. Dave K.

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    Mine came with a manual (US package). I would have rather gotten a
    charger suitable for travel than a dock.

    Rudy Garcia, Mar 4, 2004