KODAK DX6490 -- Can you write pics on your computer to the memorycard?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paige Miller, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Paige Miller

    Paige Miller Guest

    I have a new Kodak DX6490. I took some pictures the first day I had it,
    stored the pics on my computer and removed them from the memory card.
    Now, I'd like to bring those pics over to one of those Kodak kiosks
    where you can make prints. But, the pics are no longer on my memory
    card, they are in the computer. Can I write the pics back to the memory
    card (if so, how)? Or do I have to use another method to get these pics
    printed locally, if so, how? (I know I can use Ofoto, but that takes a
    few days).

    --
    Paige Miller

    http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html

    It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
    If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

    Paige Miller, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Paige Miller

    mcgyverjones Guest

    Get a card reader.

    MJ

    mcgyverjones, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Paige Miller

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, in the case of Kodak, you can. Just copy the files unchanged from
    the HD back to the memory card using a card reader (you can get one for
    under $20). Make sure they go back into the same directory they came
    from. Then take the card to the Kodak Kiosk.
    It is important that the picture files have not been edited.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Paige Miller

    Fred Ziffel Guest

    Should be no problem if you get a card reader and copy them back to the
    card.

    Fred Ziffel, Oct 26, 2003
  5. The easiest way to do what you want to do is to use a CD-RW disc with
    EasyShare Software. Slect the pictures you want, click on the BurnCD
    button, wait a few minutes, take disc to the store.

    The more direct answer to your question is yes, you can write pictures back
    onto the card. Dock the camera, push the button, when the EasyShare
    software transfer window comes up, cancel it. Then browse to the camera,
    find the card (not the internal memory) and the copy thepictures there.

    William Jackson, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Paige Miller

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Paige,

    Glad to hear you have a new DX6490 camera, you are in for some great
    Photography and fun.

    As to getting the images into a Kodak Picturemaker, there are a couple of
    ways to get your images to the printer, but lets review the particulars. If
    you have not edited the images in anyway (changed the header information
    etc.), but only saved them on your system, you can return those images to
    your camera via the card. The camera will see them for your review and
    allow you to remove the card so you can take it to the Picturemaker II.

    The KODAK Picture Maker supports KODAK Picture Disks, KODAK Picture CD,
    KODAK Photo CD, and JPEG Files on CD media or diskettes (Yes if you still
    have any :).

    If you have them on a floppy disk, you are not going to get many on a
    diskette try the following.

    (1) Make sure that the disk has been DOS formatted on a PC. (It cannot be
    formatted on a Mac.)
    (2) The files must have the extension ".JPG". (Note that .FPX images may
    work on older 6.x systems.)
    (3) The files must be in RGB mode.
    (4) The files must be written to the root directory; they cannot be placed
    in a folder.

    If you burn them to a CD you need to be sure that:
    (1) The Picture Maker with software version 7.X looks for a "Pictures"
    directory off the root or base directory on the CD. Software version 8.0
    and later will find .JPG images in any folder.
    (2) The images must have a .JPG extension (and be JPEG images). This format
    is only supported on Picture Makers running Version 7.0 software or higher.
    (3) The files must be in RGB mode..
    (4) For compatibility, it is generally suggested that you use CDR media
    (some newer systems will recognize CDRW).
    (5) The CD should be burned in the ISO9660 format (check your software
    manual for details). Most CD burning software packages, created in the last
    couple of years, have this format as an option so I am sure you are all set.

    Check in the corners of the computer screen for the version software being
    used. Look in the upper right hand corner of the main screen for the newer
    versions. Older versions, i.e. 6.03 and earlier, would be in the lower left
    corner.

    If you are using the newer Picture Maker II then things are even easier by
    transferring to a MMC/SD card.

    Personally, Paige, I would consider the Ofoto option, even though it does
    take a couple of days. You can share directly with others as soon as the
    images are online, and at the same time have your prints made currently for
    only $.29 a piece. I believe an enlargement or print made at a Picture
    Maker is more.

    Just an FYI, Paige, good luck with the camera. Let me know if you ever have
    any questions.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Paige Miller

    Paige Miller Guest

    On Stardate 10/27/2003 7:02 AM, the following keys were mysteriously
    typed at William Jackson's keyboard...
    Browse? As in Windows Explorer? Copy pictures via drag-and-drop just
    like you were copying to another hard disk?

    Paige Miller, Oct 27, 2003
  8. Paige Miller

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yep, that will do it.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Paige Miller

    Paige Miller Guest

    Yep, that will do it.[/QUOTE]

    Then, just out of curiosity, let me ask ... why would anyone want to
    bother with writing the pictures to a CD, when there's is already the
    proper media in the camera that is much smaller, and re-writeable?

    Paige Miller, Oct 30, 2003
  10. Then, just out of curiosity, let me ask ... why would anyone want to
    bother with writing the pictures to a CD, when there's is already the
    proper media in the camera that is much smaller, and re-writeable?
    [/QUOTE]

    Because when the memory card is full, it is no longer usable in the camera.
    You have to download the images somewhere to reclaim the card.
    CD s are cheap, big, portable and reliable.
    I download to a 60 GB hard drive and periodically backup to a CD.
    I almost never use CD-RWs anymore.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Oct 31, 2003
  11. Paige Miller

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Permanent storage.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 31, 2003
  12. Paige

    to answer your question, you first have to go back and look at the question
    you posed.

    You asked how you could write pictures back onto the camera so that you
    could take the card to retail and get pictures made.

    There are a couple of reasos to do this via CD that have their roots in the
    fact that CD's are (1) big, (2) cheap and (3) widely used

    The first is that you can put lots of pictures on them, probably many more
    than your card will hold if you're a typical consumer.

    The second is that you can drop the CD off at a retail location and have
    prints made. If they lose it, who cares, make another. And, you can still
    be using your camera while the CD is gone. Neither of thes can be said if
    you use the card (most likely your only one)

    The card will certainly work fine if you want to do things that way, but I
    think you'll find that CD's are a very viable alternative (even if you're
    not using them for long-term archive as others have suggested)

    William Jackson, Nov 4, 2003
  13. Paige Miller

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I find taking the card to the store, unloading it on the kiosk and then
    getting the pictures back in an hour, printed on the same paper (kodak),
    and with the same system, as the 35mm pictures others get. Absolutely
    the best of both worlds. And no time wasted in writing a CD.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 4, 2003