    plenty of hard drive space, 256 mb memory, and is running Windows
    98SE. Does anyone have any suggestions besides taking the camera back
    and getting my money back?

    *****, Dec 29, 2003

  2. *****

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Why? The camera is fine, it is the CD that is giving trouble. First,
    try downloading the software from the Kodak site. It will take some
    time, but it is quicker than waiting for them to send a new CD.
    Meanwhile, why do you want the software installed? It is NOT necessary
    to the use of the camera in any way.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2003

  3. please try to do the installation from the internet as it appears that you
    have some kind of failure on the CD that came with your camera.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    William Jackson, Dec 29, 2003
  4. *****

    ***** Guest

    It really doesn't matter if the "Easyshare software" is installed but
    how and where do I find the drivers for installing just the camera
    itself? I tried to find it on the cd and didn't see it. Also, I didn't
    have the option to make a custom install. I don't know if it just
    didn't get that far before it hung up or if that option isn't
    available with this version. I went to their web site and all of their
    connection software downloads was for Mac. Also, I went to the
    Microsoft web site and did a search for Kodak drivers in hopes of
    finding something there but each time I searched in several different
    ways, it came up with nothing. I appreciate your help and if you can
    offer any more suggestions, I appreciate that also. Thanks again!
    Kathy

    *****, Dec 29, 2003
  5. *****

    Gdnm46 Guest

    You may have a conflict with an installed program so that replacing the
    Easyshare CD would not help. I was using an older version of Easyshare and
    installed Win-on-CD which included a packet format and reading program.
    Easyshare promptly stopped working, but when I removed the packet program it
    was OK again. You might test the effects of selectively removing programs
    already on your hard disk.

    The usual suggestion for solving problems such as you have is to use a card
    reader but this would not help with pictures stored in the internal memory of
    the 4530. Of course you don't have to use the internal memory for photo
    storage.

    I recently bought a 4530 and installed Easyshare, but don't use it. Instead I
    prefer to download my pictures to Paint Shop Photo Album. This works fine but
    I suspect a driver from the Easyshare program is being used.

    JR

    Gdnm46, Dec 29, 2003
  6. *****

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Kathy,
    You can download the drivers from the Kodak site, but they are
    'install as you download', and you need to set aside a block of time if
    you are on dialup. There is no need to install ANY Kodak software if
    you just use a card reader for getting the pictures from the camera to
    the computer. You really only need the Kodak software if you have the
    dock, or the printer dock and want to use them with your computer.
    If you have Windows XP, then is should recognize the camera if it is
    plugged in and ask you where to put the pictures.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2003
  7. *****

    Ron Hunter Guest

    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/urg00153toc.jhtml?chapsec=urg00153c4s8#CIHGDDHC

    The above page explains how to copy from the internal memory to the
    card, and vice-versa.
    It is burried in the menu for the review function which is probably why
    you missed it. Nearly went nuts looking for it on my camera when I
    needed it.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 29, 2003
  8. you can install the drivers and the installable file system software by
    doing a custom install and installing only "camera connection software"

    Both the web-based install and the CD install allow for custom installs.

    BTW, in case you didn't know it. The web version of the software IS
    different from the software shipped in CD's. The Web version has both a
    print on line to a on-line print service and an upload to Ofoto feature.
    The camera version does not include the integrated upload feature.

    William Jackson, Dec 29, 2003
  9. *****

    Larry Lynch Guest

    If you have XP or XP Home, the camera will be recognized
    without any additional software, and you can read the
    memory chip as well as the built-in memory.

    Larry Lynch, Dec 29, 2003
  10. *****

    ***** Guest

    Apparently it's not the cd. I installed it on another system and it
    worked great! I also downloaded the new version, 3.2 and burned it to
    cd and tried to install it. It locked up in the exact place. I don't
    get error messages nor codes. The installation only goes as far as the
    following window: "Please wait while setup completes the requested
    tasks" and then it hangs up. I wait and finally open task control and
    the setup file has "not responding" beside it. This software isn't
    nothing but a pain! Kathy

    *****, Dec 29, 2003
  11. *****

    Gdnm46 Guest

    Ron,
    Thanks for pointing out how to copy files from internal memory on the 4530 to a
    memory card. I don't need to do this for downloading to Paint Shop Photo Album
    but it is still useful information and it shows how Kathy could could use a
    card reader to avoid the problems she has had with Easyshare.
    JR

    Gdnm46, Dec 30, 2003
  12. *****

    Zebra Guest

    Please see the other postings I made to this newsgroup this morning. I just
    bought the Kodak Easyshare DX6490 camera and I also have major problems
    transfering pictures to the pc. I am using XP Home but it is not possible to
    transfer pictures from the camera. I only get the message 'No pictures on
    device' by the Kodak software whereas the camera's preview function tells me
    the pictures are right there. Using the pc's SD card reader shows a lot of
    unreadable files (see my previous posting in this newsgroup.

    I hope there is someone out there who can give proper advise here, otherwise
    I will have to bring the camera back although I like it very much for it's
    10 times optical zoom and it's relatively large lens.

    Kind regards,

    Pieter

    Zebra, Dec 30, 2003
  13. Kathy

    please contact me off line and I'll try to find a way to get this fixed for
    you.

    my email is in the posting below....

    William Jackson, Dec 31, 2003
  14. It sounds like you have a corrupted card. My suggestion would be for you to
    use windows explorer to get off the card what you can get and then reformat
    the card, either in your card reader or in the camera.

    William Jackson, Dec 31, 2003
  15. *****

    GJP Guest

    I want to do something similar to you...I have a Dx6440 and I just want to
    download any pictures to Paint Shop Pro or Photo Album, did you install all
    of Easyshare or just selected parts of it?

    GJP

    (Gdnm46) wrote in

    GJP, Jan 1, 2004
  16. *****

    Gdnm46 Guest

    I just loaded the camera connection software.
    Problems developed using the camera connect feature of Photo Album after I
    installed a new memory card in the camera. So I started using the Kodak
    connect software directly for downloading from the camera. Downloading is a
    lot faster and more straightforward than with older Kodak software that I have
    used. After downloading I use the Jasc software for editing and manipulation.

    JGR

    Gdnm46, Jan 3, 2004
  17. *****

    GJP Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    I've just installed the camera connection software for my DX6440 and made
    my first connection as well...found it worked a little different to the way
    I am used to doing it with my DC240, but all in all works ok. Just have to
    get the battery situation straightened out as only the provided "battery
    pack" seems to work right now.
    I also have to insert a memory card (MMC), hope there is no problem after I
    do that.(G)
    Thanks again, much appreciated.

    GJP

    (Gdnm46) wrote in

    GJP, Jan 3, 2004
  18. *****

    GJP Guest

    Just encountered the same problem...put in a MMC and now it won't show the
    drive so I can download the pics...guess I'll have to install the rest of
    the Easyshare to see if that works...wshy can't things stay simple EH!.(G)

    GJP

    (Gdnm46) wrote in

    GJP, Jan 3, 2004
  19. *****

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sigh.
    It isn't supposed to show the drive. You should still be able to
    put the camera on 'auto' for the image source and transfer the pictures
    using the connection software.
    Better yet, but a card reader.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 4, 2004
  20. *****

    GJP Guest

    Hi Ron;
    I realize that the drive doesn't show which is too bad really...
    Maybe my terminology was wrong, what it wouldn't do was download the
    picture off the MMC nor would it seem to recognize the camera as being
    attached.
    So I was going to install the rest of the Easyshare program, but when I
    tested it again this morning, lo and behold it recognized the camera so I
    ain't fooling around with that anymore.(G)
    As far as a card reader, well in my case I see that as possibly just
    another cable hanging around and taking that tiny card out each time I want
    to copy files on to my hard drive just doesn't appeal to me.
    I just wish that Kodak had made the USB cable connection somewhere else
    other than where the card is also inserted or even made the cover for that
    area a little bit more sturdy...likewise the battery cover.
    I guess the next comment could well be...you bought it as it is..soooo.(G)
    Well if the truth be known I also bought it sight untouched.(G)
    Due to circumstances such as, area where I live and physical contraints
    prevented me from being able to examine the camera physically.
    I have bought Kodak products (film, digital etc.)for a number of years and
    have always been happy with their products, so my comments are really not
    complaints just meant as constructive critism.(G)
    Thanks for your reply.

    GJP

    GJP, Jan 4, 2004