    a memory upgrade. If anyone out there has done this, how did it go? Would it
    be a better choice to try and sell the camera and buy a new Kodak SLR/N?
    Thanks

    LikeMike1, Apr 27, 2004

  2. I would rather buy another camera for 1800 and have two cameras and choice
    for any sytuation. In studio Kodak, outside the other camera.

    Jan Werbiñski, Apr 27, 2004

  3. LikeMike1

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: (LikeMike1)
    I use a Canon so don't follow this TOO closely, but I recall reading on one of
    the review sites that there were more benefits with the new camera other than
    just the sensor upgrade, and thinking at the time it would be better to buy the
    new one. Maybe worth your while to dig up the reviews and get a feature list
    comparing the new model to the upgraded sensor version, especially if you can
    sell the old one at a good price.

    Bill Hilton, Apr 27, 2004
  4. There are three differences between the DCS 14nx (upgraded DCS 14n) and the
    SLR/n.

    1. The SLR/n has a new digital board, giving it the capability to go to sleep
    between uses, saving battery charge.

    2. The SLR/n has a visible "busy" light on the storage door, so you're less
    likely to open the door early and corrupt data on the card. I believe the
    light is actually present on the 14n, but the new camera has a window
    through which you can see it.

    3. The nameplate.

    Stephen H. Westin, Apr 27, 2004
  5. LikeMike1

    Bill Hilton Guest

    The improvements mentioned in the article I skimmed were a bit more important
    than a "busy" light or a new nameplate, though if those are what's important to
    you go for it :)

    One of the things I recall from the comparison was the turn-on delay was
    reduced to 5 seconds, compared to 10-20 sec in the earliest model (I don't know
    if this was improved with firmware upgrades along the way, hopefully it was).
    This lengthy delay is one of the reasons I feel this camera is not practical
    for many non-studio usages, and even 5 sec is too long for me, but it's a
    worthwhile improvement unless you're working solely in a studio, and even then
    it should be less than 10 sec.

    Another thing mentioned was a deeper buffer, 512 MB, which allows you to blast
    off 18 RAW frames at 2.5 frames/sec before it stops to download to the CF card.
    I think the original model limited you to 2 frames/sec and filled the buffer
    with only 8 shots, though it seems like they also offered an option to buy the
    deeper buffer version too. If the original poster has the older small buffer
    version that's another reason to upgrade. Even in a studio it's nice to be
    able to shoot more than 8 frames before stopping.

    There may be more ... since I have a Canon 1Ds I don't have very much interest
    in digging further to provide a longer list of 14n or 14c improvements since I
    feel the dSLR I have is much better in every way except total pixel count.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Apr 27, 2004
  6. LikeMike1

    dogmeat Guest

    Comrade,

    I got my 14n in February and I am still so in awe of what it can do
    that I'm not even thinking of the upgrade. I do a lot of technical
    and some product photography for my technical publications work, so
    shooting for me is usually under controlled situations. Since I
    typically don't work near the exposure limits that the new imager
    upgrade corrects, upgrading is not a big concern for me this year.

    As it is, I can't tell you how many engineering and marketing jaws
    drop at the output of this thing. The DCS Pro 14n is, by far, the
    coolest thing I own.

    The weird thing is that the last Kodak I owned was an Instamatic back
    in the late '60s. I like this one a lot better.

    According to the March/April issue of PHOTO>Electonic Imaging, Kodak
    will upgrade the sensor and support electronics, but not the improved
    power management for 1,500 USD. This camera system is worth the
    trouble, so if you really need the upgrade, just get it.

    --Paul

    dogmeat, Apr 28, 2004