    rs11 Guest

    Does anyone have any experience with the kodak 8500 dye sub printer? Opinions please.
    Thanks

    rs11, Feb 17, 2004

  2. I have a Kodak 8500 dye-sub. I find it's output to be much closer to a true
    photograph than any of my inkjet printers (including Canon, Epson,and HP).
    It's glossy surface is less glossy than a true photo, but still pretty good.
    The matte surface is similar to Kodak's 'N' surface.

    That said, there are a few issues with the Kodak:

    1. There is a small issue where saturated colors can bleed into lighter
    areas. This can be minimized by using Kodak's Enhancement option unless the
    light area is too light. You can also eliminate the problem by rotating the
    direction in which the image is printed.

    2. The matte surface has a reduced optical density. This is normal,
    however, for matte surfaces.

    3. There is a slight amount of metamerism where the image will shift
    slightly between magenta and green depending on the light source. This is
    quite common among dye-sub printers, and fairly mild. Probably it's biggest
    issue would be if you tried to make B&W prints where slight color shifts are
    quite noticeable.

    4. To get a full 8x10 print, you have to use a 8 1/2 x 12" paper. This
    means you'll need to cut the print out and will want to probably use a
    high-quality rotary cutter (I use a Rotatrim).

    5. Dust can be an issue (as with all dye-subs). The Kodak 8500 is fairly
    well sealed and dust is usually only a problem when you need to change
    ribbons or add paper. Even then, I've generally only had a single print
    with dust marks.

    But, overall, I've been very satisfied with the printer.

    James.

    James Akiyama, Feb 17, 2004

  3. rs11

    Alan F Cross Guest

    I'm an 8500 user. My main bugbear was the dye bleed into light areas
    that you refer to, so will try the Enhancement option. This is just a
    crispness adjustment, so clearly not intended to overcome this
    particular problem. Have you any comment from Kodak on this issue?
    Sometimes it can be pretty bad, and can ruin certain types of image.

    Otherwise very happy with results.

    Alan F Cross, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Actually, the enhancment is to remove the bleeding. Basically, bleeding is
    caused by residual heat on the thermal head when transitioning from a very
    saturated color (dark area) to an area that's nearly white. Residual heat
    on the head will cause excessive amounts of dye transfer. Enhancement mode
    simply compensates for this by adjusting for it when calculating the amount
    of heat to deliver. This is why it doesn't work with very light colors (or
    white) since the residual heat may be more than the total amount that should
    be delivered.

    Under these conditions, you can sometimes rotate the image 180 degrees
    (using your photo editor) which will change the transition from light to
    dark (which isn't a problem). Of course, if there's another dark to light
    transition somewhere else in the image, this won't work.

    Enhancements primary disadvantage is that it will take longer for the
    computer to process the image since additional calculating is needed.
    Previously, enhancement would also cause some image degradation, but that's
    been pretty well addressed with the newest 8500 driver and firmware.

    For more info, I'd recommend going to the Yahoo Group

    There are several Kodak technical reps that frequent the forum and provide a
    wealth of information.

    James

    James Akiyama, Feb 17, 2004
  5. rs11

    Alan F Cross Guest

    James,

    Thanks a million for your follow-up, and for the lead to the Yahoo
    group, which I have now joined. I always got a poor response on 8500
    printer Qs on comp.periphs.printers, but now I know why - they're all
    lurking on Yahoo (including the very helpful Bob Collette)!

    With best regards ....

    Alan F Cross, Feb 18, 2004