Kodak 6490 or 4530 - Which one to buy?? Zoom vs. Pixels - Better???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by t d w, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. t d w

    t d w Guest

    looking to get a new Kodak camera and can't decide which one to get the 6490
    (4/0 megapixles with 10x zoom and video capture) or the 4530 (5 megapixel
    with 3x zoom)??
    i am a hobbiest with photography. i do not plan on making huge enlargements.
    is making enlargements one of the only key reasons to consider a 5-megapixel
    camera?? ireally like the zoom option of 10x on the 6490...so i guess the
    main question is... what does the 5 megapixel get me??

    tw

    PC and Golf Guy

    Homebuilt AMD XP 2600+
    Abit KX7R 333
    1GB PC2700 RAM
    ATI 9600 XT 128MB Video
    Santa Cruz Audio
    Dual Seagate Barracuda HDs
    XP Pro

    t d w, Apr 5, 2004

  2. t d w

    Lucas Tam Guest

    If you're a hobbiest you may want to consider a more advance camera.
    More cropping area or a larger print.

    Lucas Tam, Apr 5, 2004

  3. t d w

    David James Guest

    I'm not sure about the Kodak models, but I have owned an Olympus c-750 (4mp
    10x optical) and an Olympus c-5050 (5mp 3x optical). I couldn't pic the
    difference in quality even when zooming in to pixelate the images on my lcd
    monitor. Having 10x optical is fantastic. I now have the c-750 only and I am
    thrilled with it.

    Hope this helps
    Dave

    David James, Apr 5, 2004
  4. t d w

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings TW,

    Boy you have a desirable decision to make.

    As I noted in the post to Rodney, my preference between these two would be
    for the DX6490. It has a lot of features that you may learn to understand
    better should you choose that model. The 10 X zoom which reduces the need
    for large file sizes as you can zoom out further and optically, and capture
    original files more easily. The DX4530 is also pretty nice, and the larger
    image file allows for some digital editing later, especially if you want to
    make large enlargements. If you are seeking the larger CCD size for larger
    file size reasons, you may want to consider the newer Kodak 7630 that has a
    6 megapixel imager.

    For me the added features that allow me more control over the image move me
    toward that camera. Others, however, may like the larger imager, and ease
    of use, and will want to go in that direction. Regardless, you are going to
    get a great camera

    Talk to you soon, TW,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company