KING KONG (1933): Best Bootleg DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. There are persistent rumors that Warner will be releasing a super-duper
    Region 1 DVD of the original _King Kong_ (1933) by the end of the
    decade. In the meantime, I have been able to obtain 2 different Region 0
    NTSC _King Kong_ DVDs:

    DVD Acadamy:

    A "DVD Acadamy" version from South Korea, a Region 0 NTSC DVD which is
    obviously a copy of the only authentic, studio-approved Region 2 PAL
    version DVD of _King Kong_, (_King Kong und die weisse Frau_, "Der
    Monster Klassiker King Kong.") Great picture and sound, HOWEVER, this
    DVD was created from a sped up PAL version, so everything is running 4%
    faster than the studio original. (This speed increase changes the tempo
    of all dialogue and music, but some people will not notice or care.)
    This DVD has all of the "deleted" footage and a running time of 96
    minutes -- 4 minutes short of NTSC VHS versions.

    English and German soundtracks plus Korean, German and Japanese
    subtitles, which can be turned off. This DVD is an authentic factory
    pressing with high-quality artwork and a silkscreen DVD label. Delivered
    price: $17.99.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6345270825&rd=1

    Cheezy Flicks:

    The video quality of this DVD is about the same as the NTSC VHS source
    from which it was so obviously copied; a pasty looking picture,
    totally-lacking in contrast with occasional VHS-style video dropouts.
    The picture is off centered to the left and suffers from too much
    overscan. The "deleted" scenes are all way too dark. The crude cover art
    is composed of fuzzy screen shots. The ONLY advantage to the Cheezy Flix
    DVD is that it has reasonably good audio and it is presented in its
    original, 100-minute length, not the 96-minute length of sped up PAL
    versions. This alone makes the DVD worth keeping.

    English soundtrack, no subtitles. This DVD was made on a DVD burner. My
    Cheezy Flix receipt showed a bottom-line price of $19.99, but my credit
    card was billed $23.94. (The postage on the package mailed from
    Portland, OR was $1.29)

    http://store.cheezyflicks.com/kingkong.html

    I already know about the 3 Region 0 South American DVDs that are either
    made from the Criterion LaserDisc, a colorized VHS tape or a black and
    white VHS tape.

    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/kingkong.htm

    There are at least 2 other DVDs from Singapore and another DVD version
    that the seller claims is an authentic Region 1 Warner release that he
    bought in bulk directly from the warehouse as an overstock item. (I have
    serious doubts about this claim, because the DVD cover shows the 60th
    anniversary VHS cover art.)

    So my question is: Can anyone point me to a high-quality NTSC Region 1
    or Region 0 DVD version of _King Kong_ (1933) that has a full 100-minute
    running time?

    One-Shot Scot, Dec 5, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    ML-78 Guest

    One-Shot Scot wrote:

    A "DVD Acadamy" version from South Korea, a Region 0 NTSC DVD which is
    obviously a copy of the only authentic, studio-approved Region 2 PAL
    version DVD of _King Kong_, (_King Kong und die weisse Frau_, "Der
    Monster Klassiker King Kong.")

    There are lots of studio-approved region 2 releases of "King Kong". The
    German disc is only one of them.

    ML-78

    ML-78, Dec 6, 2004