    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    bAZZ Guest

    Directory Opus. Free version 6 but ver8 is paid for. Really good
    replacement for explorer. Lots tools and stuff.

    FoxyTunes ver1.1 extension for firefox. I also use the accuweather one
    too. Really good and accurate for US based weather service.

    Whats Running from whatsrunning.net. Handy little free utility.

    CFI Software produce Shelltoys. Bloody good too and adds some handy
    little options to explorers context menu. I use it daily as it is so
    handy.

    HTH
    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Hi there,

    My current fave is Flightgear flight sim. It has lesser focus on eye
    candy than something like FS2004, but the aircraft handling is more
    realistic than most flight sims. It has downloadable scenery for
    the entire world, which spans 3 DVD's or 11 CD's (can be purchased
    on disc, instead of downloaded).

    http://www.flightgear.org/

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Shane Guest

    I gave it a try at work today
    UltraVNC is 1.4 MB to download the full install (VNC is only 800 kb IIRC)
    The first time it was installed on my windows (genuine tears) machine i
    configured it to alert me if someone tried to connect (cant remember if
    that was default or not)
    and that sucked because if nobody was at the machine to accept incoming..
    it wouldnt connect
    fix0red it on the third attempt and it was sweet FTP was easy as.. both
    ways..
    ie. I could send files to the server machine.. or I could download files
    off it as I wanted
    One of the lads installed it on his home machine.. and it worked great ..
    until he tried to connect two clients at once to it... then his machine
    crashed
    (MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
    the head tech didnt like the 'extra features' because that meant more
    could go wrong
    (They all use VNC)
    so I renamed it opticpro 3.0.exe and suddenly everyone wanted a copy

    Shane, Jun 9, 2005
  5. I was with you until the last line... whats opticpro? no time to google.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Shane Guest

    er.. similar to er.. umm.... sub7

    Shane, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    MarkH Guest

    Here are my favourite free apps:
    Xnews
    Tight VNC
    VirtualDub
    MPlayer
    Mozilla or Firefox
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD Shrink
    FlaskMPEG
    XMPEG
    XPlorer2 Lite
    Winamp
    RNameIT
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    Aida32
    GSpot

    And some other good apps:
    Alcohol 120%
    Kaspersky Antivirus
    ACDSee
    GetRight
    Winproxy
    Nero Burning ROM
    Adobe Photoshop
    MYOB

    MarkH, Jun 9, 2005
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    JC Guest

    My fave apps:

    Jetaudio
    Media Man 2.2
    Fastone Image Viewer
    Free Download Manager

    JC, Jun 9, 2005
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    PAM. Guest

    Noone has said Post-It notes. Doesn't anyone use that?
    It's probably one of the more recent (last 3 years) applications I've found
    that I really find useful.
    On my MS boxes that is. There's nothing close to it on my Linux box which is
    a shame

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 9, 2005
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    akiwi Guest

    keepass - password manager on sourceforge. Highly recommended.

    Copernic Desktop Search. Better than google.
    Copernic Agent Basic - meta web search tool.
    Spacemonger - shows graphical view of hard disk usage.
    Anything from sysinternals.

    All are free and excellent.
    Copernic agent has non-free versions too. I use it heaps.

    akiwi

    akiwi, Jun 9, 2005
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    PAM. Guest

    Oooh. This might be useful

    I'd LOVE a HDD usage app that shows me my usage by sort keys. One can get
    that by directory currently but I'd love it by Disk (partition).

    Ideally I'd love to sort on App/file size. See the LARGE files and if any I
    don't require, then I can max my HDD usage by removing just one file
    perhaps.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 10, 2005
  12. Is that like the "Stickies" app which was first released with MacOS 7.5
    back in about 1995?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2005
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Works fine between 2 pcs in my house.
    I use this version:

    RC20.5

    You know when people go on about how some app didn't work, you usually
    find out that it was years ago and the bugs they had then are now gone.
    File transfer now moves folders too. Stuff gets compressed (zipped) and
    then moved and unzipped all through the same session port. (usually TCP
    5900)
    The prompt on connect also has some new options, like ask and then
    accept. If you tried this app 12 months ago and haven't been back, do
    yourself a favour and look again.

    Dave Taylor, Jun 12, 2005
  14. This is for work, it took long enough in testing to get
    ultraVNC(~18months old now) instead of ~4year old(at the time) tightVNC,
    and even then, it broke a few things when we went to win2k3 for
    servers... re-tested with a newer version and all is well.

    I do prefer to have a testing phase atleast... much better than
    un-documented software installs on live/production machines.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 12, 2005
  15. Little "sticky notes" for your screen ? IIRC, there was something like this
    for the apple // and mac years ago (like 20 :) ).
    It was silly and died AFAIK. :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 13, 2005
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    PAM. Guest

    Yes it is but stickies is like using Dos compared to post-it notes' WinXP
    for example. Post-It notes is so much better.

    Even the simple create a note is just one click on post-it. What it should
    be (IMO). Stickies is 2 just to create a scribble note. That's too slow. You
    also have to verify that you want to delete a sticky. With post-it you
    don't. It just deletes (to the trash 'folder')

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 13, 2005