Kill Google Sponsored Links - Solution: Scroogle

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Scraggy Guest

    Cool. Thanks.

    Scraggy, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Blinky the Shark

    philo Guest

    a good one!
    thanks

    philo, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark

    elaich Guest

    Nice but one wonders who's paying the bills.

    I see one glaring difference - when it finds a page that is a subset of the
    main page, it does not indent it to the right like Google does.

    On a related note, is there any way to get rid of those floating title bars
    like the one used in Google Groups search?

    elaich, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Didn't notice that. Minor, IMO.
    <looking at scroogle>

    In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Blinky the Shark

    elaich Guest

    Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and notice
    that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't touch it.
    I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    elaich, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Blinky the Shark

    Pennywise Guest

    |> > In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    |> > a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?
    |>
    |> Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and notice
    |> that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't touch it.
    |> I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    Your right :) and it has to be a result, never saw it before.

    Just use this address http://www.google.co.uk/ it doesn't have it.

    Pennywise, Feb 16, 2005
  8. I have no such thing with any of my browsers.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 16, 2005
  9. SECOND RESPONSE: I see it; I didn't notice you were talking about
    Google *Groups*. My bad. Well, it's up at the very top of the
    viewport; doesn't really get in the way.[1] If it ever does, I'll use one
    of my text browsers; it sure won't be seen there. :)

    [1]And it's broken, too, as is most of G2. If you scroll down slowly,
    you'll see certain elements (like the list of sponsored hits on the
    right side of the window) cover it (in, at least, Opera and Konqueror).

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 16, 2005
  10. It was on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:17:32 +0000, that Blinky the Shark
    contributed:
    Nor have I. It doesn't appear in Firefox, Opera, Galleon or konqueror.
    I wonder if it only affects windows users?

    Perce P. Cassidy, Feb 16, 2005
  11. See my correction. I was looking for it in Google; didn't notice he
    was talking about Google Groups. I have it there, in Opera, FF and
    Konqueror. But it's at the very top of the viewport, so you might just
    be missing it, especially if you're scrolling down relatively quickly,
    as I was. It's small. And I think it's new -- I don't remember it
    from a three or four days ago.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 16, 2005
  12. Nope, no such bar here.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Ah, I see it now. It stays at the top over on the right and doesn't
    block anything. Basically it gives the name of the thread I'm looking
    at and has a link that sends the view back to the top of the results
    page.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Feb 16, 2005