    would like to enable it, if possible.

    Thanks,

    -- Wayne.

    wayne, Apr 13, 2009

  2. plugin or add-on: no, not really.

    There are a few options, such as the Porn HOSTS files
    which you can obtain from here: http://hostsfile.mine.nu/

    You can also look into something like net-nanny:
    http://www.netnanny.com/

    or cyber patrol: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/

    or other sites like: http://www.cyberpatrol.com/

    or best of all, have trust in your kids.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 13, 2009

  3. wayne

    Rom Guest

    I've never used it but have a look at:
    KidZui <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9689>

    Rom, Apr 13, 2009
  4. wayne

    wayne Guest

    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  5. wayne

    wayne Guest

    It's not really a matter of trust. Click on the wrong link and bam, hard
    core abounds. I need something that prevents xxx sites from loading.
    Thanks.

    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  6. wayne

    wayne Guest

    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  7. wayne

    Rom Guest

    Rom, Apr 13, 2009
  8. wayne

    wayne Guest

    kb-7400324049766694169/view_question!PAGETYPE?
    sq=linux&sf=101113&st=593299&documentid=356893&action=view>

    Thanks. I'll give a try.

    wayne, Apr 13, 2009
  9. wayne

    yogi22 Guest

    Funny this topic should come up today, as I have just been amending a
    young friend's computer to minimize the various threats to his moral
    well being. I certainly agree with Porter that the computer should be
    in a public area.

    I have been using K9 Web Protection for this purpose. I had previously
    installed it on his computer, but he is a cunning devil. He disabled
    the HighSpeed somehow, then told his mother that he needed the
    password to get it going again. On the usually valid assumption that
    people use one password for everything, he then successfully
    uninstalled the program, using the password his mother had given him.

    The young are smart, but we older folk (especially those at K9) know a
    thing or two as well. As soon as he uninstalled the program, K9 sent
    an email to my registration address informing that the program had
    been uninstalled. It is now back on, with a password that I am not
    revealing to his mother.

    The program runs unobtrusively, and seems to work. I tried visiting
    warez sites and googling some words referring to various body parts
    and activities thereof, and was stymied every time. You can set
    various levels of filtering, including custom. You can allow
    exceptions, temporarily or permanently. For example, I am using the
    Default which blocks social networking sites. His mother has approved
    Facebook, so I programmed in an exception. Should he not behave
    properly, it's very easy to cut off Facebook (at least on his
    computer).

    http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
    kk

    yogi22, Apr 13, 2009
  10. wayne

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to wayne:

    I notice on another reply, you're using Linux.

    Assuming you have more than one computer in the house, could you use your
    main one (that you control) as a forwarding router, and filter any
    machines behind it through that?

    I'm thinking about /etc/hosts style filtering where you could keep an
    up2date list of URLs to redirect into the void.

    Either that, or dump your ISP and get an AOL style portal service?

    On the downside, kids will see stuff you wouldn't want them to anyway, if
    they want to, as their friends will surely have mobile phones etc. and a
    viral peer group network.

    Maybe monitoring, followed by subtle persuasion in the form of a "risk of
    severe embarrassment if dad finds out about this" regime? Hints that you
    have plenty of disk space for logs, and can get copies from your ISP at
    any time, and so on. Let 'em know they are not in any way going to sneak
    anything past you.

    If done with minimum fuss, it could help form a bond of trust that will
    probably be far more productive in the long run than attempting a techno-
    battle with creatures way faster than you with today's technology.

    Mike Jones, Apr 13, 2009
  11. wayne

    yogi22 Guest

    Open DNS does this. You access Open DNS by customizing your router
    settings. I understand that Open DNS is well regarded and you can
    customize the filtering. As a bonus, it is supposed to speed up your
    connections.

    http://www.opendns.com/
    kk

    yogi22, Apr 14, 2009
  12. wayne

    wayne Guest

    Let me know when it is available on my 64-bit linux box. What I need is
    a way to block inappropriate sites for individual users.

    wayne, Apr 14, 2009
  13. wayne

    wayne Guest

    The kids and I all share the same computer. Fedora 10 allows us to all
    be logged on at the same time and switch between sessions. We can't
    actively use the computer simultaneously, but that is usually not a
    problem.

    wayne, Apr 14, 2009
  14. wayne

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to wayne:

    Then you're most produtive route here is likely the one where you engage
    with your kids on the matters you ahve a concern about, rather than
    looking to create a problem where there probably isn't one by treating
    them as if you don't trust them.

    Sure, do the obvious, like a decent /etc/hosts file, but explain what
    you're doing, and how, and why.

    If you intend to build a hosts file collection, do "man sort". It
    helps. ;)

    Mike Jones, Apr 14, 2009
  15. wayne

    wayne Guest

    OK, this has become a linux issue instead of a firefox issue. I was
    hoping for a browser solution, but I guess one doesn't exist yet. Here
    are my ideal requirements:

    1) Will not allow visiting unapproved web sites. Perhaps it could
    reference a wiki of approved sites?

    2) Cannot be disabled or uninstalled without a password (darn clever
    kids). Won't stop the most determined ones, but those would be smart
    enough to find other solutions anyway (e.g. install there own browser).

    3) Have different levels of protection. Young kids (3-7) can go to kids
    sites, older kids (8-12) more mature sites, teens (13-17) can have more
    freedom to do research, etc.

    4) Only applies to certain login accounts. I still want my pron ;-)

    I think this would be immensely useful for parents.

    Thanks,

    -- Wayne.

    wayne, Apr 14, 2009
  16. wayne

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to wayne:

    Ah. You want a "Do it for me" product.

    If you want something to give you this much control, you're going to end
    up either trusting something somebody else has hacked together, or you're
    going to need to review exactly what it is you want to do, and figure out
    how to set things up to do those things for yourself.

    Setting up a LAN server that only allows certain approved URLs, while
    doable, is going to be so lame your kids will just walk away from it and
    go use their freind's machines instead.

    Go watch a few episodes of South Park and get back to us. ;\

    Mike Jones, Apr 14, 2009
  17. Wayne, this is a losing battle.

    With any controls you put up, if you leave your kids unattended at the
    computer, they will be able to defeat it. If you want to keep them from
    visiting certain sites, supervise them on the internet. Its the opnly way.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 15, 2009
  18. wayne

    Charani Guest

    Thank you for this :)) My dau (14) wants to have internet access on
    her on PC which we've "not got around to doing" ;)) so far. This
    seems to be an admirable solution. Until we get a Roundtuit, she'll
    have to use either my or my husband's computer under supervision.

    Charani, Apr 15, 2009
  19. wayne

    JR Guest

    Perhaps this is what you are looking for.

    JR, Apr 16, 2009
  20. wayne

    wayne Guest

    wayne, Apr 17, 2009