    going to System Properties

    Thanks in advance
    klumze

    klumze, May 21, 2007

  2. klumze

    Neil Green Guest

    Neil Green, May 21, 2007

  3. klumze

    klumze Guest

    I know about that program, he can't get to it as he can not get on the net.
    I think I said that
    but thanks for the help anyway
    klumze

    klumze, May 21, 2007
  4. klumze

    Neil Green Guest

    It's only 600k, put it on a floppy and post it to him.

    Neil Green, May 21, 2007
  5. Dumb question, but how does one get to "LEGAL" without activation?
    Does one assume the system (above mentioned) has been activated by
    Voice?
    Or is the next question from 'friend' going to be, "Ok, got that, and
    now...I???".
    Better yet, the /buddy// could cough for a Thumb Drive.
    Made bootable, whatever is needed loaded to it - there is a /fix//.
    ..

    This is what I have just had to do to help out a friend.
    Works, and no hassle with floppies in post etc.
    Fixed for Life..whichever comes first.

    HPD

    Hoo Phung Dungh, May 28, 2007
  6. klumze

    klumze Guest

    Dumb question, but how does one get to "LEGAL" without activation?
    Does one assume the system (above mentioned) has been activated by
    Voice?
    Or is the next question from 'friend' going to be, "Ok, got that, and
    now...I???".
    Better yet, the /buddy// could cough for a Thumb Drive.
    Made bootable, whatever is needed loaded to it - there is a /fix//.
    ..

    This is what I have just had to do to help out a friend.
    Works, and no hassle with floppies in post etc.
    Fixed for Life..whichever comes first.

    The computer is currently legal but he wants to reformat the HD. He has a
    copy of XP Home with the key code that he bought from Best Buy, he upgraded
    to XP Pro when he was in collage and it was installed under some kind of
    school license. He can not get ANY CDRW to work, nothing works that is
    pluged into ANY USB port, so a thumbdrive WILL NOT WORK. Every time he tries
    to reinstall XP durning boot up/DOS the computer tells him it can not read
    the disk but did it does read the disks when the computer is running. He can
    not access the internet nor send/receive email. I don't know how to make it
    any clearer?

    HPD

    klumze, May 28, 2007
  7. The accepted way to *emphasize* your words is to use old(?) Unix
    syntax so as to _get the point_ across.
    Any newbie stumbling along would assume you are shouting.. at myself.
    Wrong on two counts that would be.
    a.) there are hundreds here, and a lot more to come yet.
    b.) I cannot hear you so why would you.

    I digress...
    I assumed - from your age - you (and your 'buddy') would be tooled up
    with the "latest and greatest", to wit, a "boot from USB" enabled
    BiOS. Has not everyone got one <g>

    Quickly, here is what you do.. there are tutes on this archived on
    Google//DejaVu, so a look first to expand on what I post here may be a
    wise first move? You need to have minimal D0S skills to do this stuff
    so hope your 'buddy' is able to use a CLI :->
    Get/Make a bootable floppy made with generic CDR drivers on it.
    Throw xcopy + smartdrv onto it also. These *must* be D0S6 or higher
    versions of those tools.
    Turn the machine on and get into the BiOS setup.
    Set the BiOS to "boot from floppy"
    Turn 0ff the "boot sector protection" and disable any Power
    settings to null.
    Save and exit.
    When the machine boots to the A: prompt run <smartdrv> and when done
    change to your CDR drive.
    Get to the ..//I386 folder.
    Type in "winnt" and hit RET.
    The CD will boot and begin an install..make sure you have your licence
    dats ready.

    Post the bits you cannot fathom before you _do anything_ other than go
    check the procedure on the Net//Deja.

    hThs

    HPD

    Hoo Phung Dungh, May 28, 2007
  8. klumze

    Guest Guest

    Backing up to take it step by step:
    < legal/license removed>
    The computer is currently legal but he wants to reformat the HD. He has
    copy of XP Home with the key code that he bought from Best Buy, he
    upgraded
    to XP Pro when he was in collage and it was installed under some kind of
    school license. He can not get ANY CDRW to work, nothing works that is
    pluged into ANY USB port, so a thumbdrive WILL NOT WORK. Every time he
    tries to reinstall XP durning boot up/DOS the computer tells him it can
    not read
    the disk but did it does read the disks when the computer is running. He
    can
    not access the internet nor send/receive email. I don't know how to make
    it
    any clearer?

    RE:
    "I don't know how to make it any clearer"

    Calmly now ...
    If XP Home does not install ( due to read errors on the CD), why is it a
    license issue ? Xp Pro is hosed and you think entering license info will
    " fix it " ? You may be right but provided no reason as to WHY you
    think so.

    1.So he boots from the XP Home CD directly ( not from XP Pro)
    2. >> Every time he tries to reinstall XP Home,
    cannot read what disk? - the CD ? or his hard drives ?
    BTW, at install time it should offer to format the drive - do so. You
    cannot UPGRADE from Xp Pro to XP Home. So this should not happen " Every
    time" - just once. After that, Xp Pro will not exist.

    Given: He has a pc running XP pro that is bad - in fact useless.
    Does he need to recover data from it? Laptop/desktop ?
    If desktop , cheap IDE disks at retail these days. If he needs to save
    his old data, I'd get a new disk for C drive and install XP there.
    Then - under XP - read his data from old drive. If not - format it and
    start fresh. As it is it's a boat anchor.
    I've never tried installing XP Home on top of XP Pro - it is not a valid
    install.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607/en-us

    Guest, May 28, 2007
  9. klumze

    klumze Guest

    <_aa> wrote in message Backing up to take it step by step:
    < legal/license removed>
[...]

    OK, I'll try to explain this one last time.....

    I am 250 miles away from my friend who I am trying to help. When he bought
    his computer it came with XP Home installed, legal, and registered. He has
    the MS Windows XP Home factory disk with the factory key code sticker on the
    CD case. During collage he was able to buy a upgrade to XP Pro through one
    of his classes under some kind of license through the school, it too is a
    legal and registered copy. He has the original MS Windows XP Pro Upgrade
    factory disk from the school (UWM) BUT it does not have the key code sticker
    on the case maybe since it was bought through the school under a bulk school
    license, I don't know. I may be using the wrong term saying "bulk school
    license", The upgrade was used on alot of different students computers using
    a key code provided by the school.

    Is it possible that the key code would show up automatically during
    installation since its a school bulk license?

    He is having major problems with the computer namely, the floppy disk drive
    does not work at all, it is dead. It will not work in DOS or Windows. It
    will not read or write a floppy disk. I made a XP Bootable floppy disk, the
    computer does not see the floppy disk nor the drive it self. For those that
    can't read what I wrote twice before, No_Floppy_Disk_Drive.

    The CD-Rom drive will only see the original Windows XP Home CD and/or the
    Legal Upgrade Windows XP Pro CD from the school ONLY while running under
    Windows. When he tries to boot up using either CD, Home or Pro, (i.e. in
    DOS) the computer keeps asking for the CD to be inserted or he gets a error
    saying the disk can not be read.
    And yes I had him change the BIO's setting to boot from CD.

    Anything that runs off the USB ports are not seen, the printer, the scanner,
    the external HD can not be accessed because as far as the computer is
    concerned nothing is plugged in.

    He can boot the computer normally, Windows XP Pro loads and everything looks
    normal BUT, he can not get on the internet or get email. His account is
    through Road Runner in Mil. WI. according to R.R. there is nothing wrong
    with the cable modem to their server connection. The problem is in his
    computer. It was working perfectly fine, he logged out of his personal
    account and when his son logged in his account 5 minutes later nothing
    worked. It is the same way in all 5 family members and the Administrator
    accounts since.

    Before I try to reformat the HD we need to find the XP Pro key code he
    currently is licensed under, namely the code used on the legal, school
    licensed, and registered, XP Pro that he is using right now. I can not send
    him any program to find the code, he can't go to a different computer to get
    any program because the computer will not recognize any media it is on,
    again, no CD, no floppy, no thumb drive, no external HD will work.

    My plan is to walk him through reformatting the HD, then do a clean install
    of XP Pro using the upgrade disk. During the install I know it will want the
    ordinal XP Home key code then ask for the XP Pro upgrade key code. If a
    clean install will not work then after reformatting the HD then installing
    XP Home, then installing the XP Pro upgrade. We are trying to find out the
    key code before wiping out the HD.

    That brings me back to my original question, I remember that there was some
    command that was typed in the "Run" box to find out the XP key code
    currently being used but I do not remember what it was can anyone help?

    klumze

    klumze, May 28, 2007
  10. klumze

    Brian Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/en-us

    This link gives you the location in the registry for the activation with the
    ability to run a script if you have the Product Key(which you do not) but
    maybe you could write down the binary and retype once up and running. Not
    sure if that will help you any because you are planning to reinstall XP so
    you will need some number to insert during the install. You could look for a
    generic number just to get it installed then change the data in this field
    to match for the activation. Again not sure if it will work but maybe it
    will get you closer to where you need to be

    It seems that after SP1 all product keys were encrypted so there is no way
    to find the product key in the registry. I assume that is what you are
    looking for. It could be found in Win98 and Win2000 systems in the registry
    if you type "product key=" in regedit-edit-find

    If it was me I would recommend installing XP Home unless he needs Pro, in
    which case buy a new disk that doesn't have a volume license.

    Brian, May 28, 2007
  11. klumze

    Neil Green Guest

    Obvious question maybe, but has your friend tried a
    system restore?

    Neil Green, May 29, 2007
  12. "klumze" <>, double mono-spaced with::

    / baggage
    I do well understand the corners some often paint themselves into but
    on this occasion I fail to see where your description becomes _our_
    problem. I have read all of your posted comments. This is the first
    mention you make of any media drive other than a CDRW.
    You see it differently? Post the example, cos you have me beat !

    Pointing to Comprehension and Presentation I am still perplexed as to
    what you are trying to say here.
    <quote>
    Every time he tries to reinstall XP durning boot up/DOS the computer
    tells him it can not read the disk but did it does read the disks when
    the computer is running.
    </quote>
    That statement just does not make sense. This latest explanation does
    not address it, but,,,whatever..it is of small consequence.
    See my final note.

    Ok..two things, or maybe three../shrug
    IF you were able to get the code, I doubt very much {from this last
    explanation) the possession would do your friend any good. The very
    first update requiring validation would fail. It is a very sure bet
    the MS code on that XP upgrade is generic and blacklisted.
    Opinion? Your buddy is borked , on that route.

    Second, what you are describing is a ram/bus failure. You can check
    this by disconnecting everything and reconnecting one device at a
    time. Start with the RAM.
    Do this if you have time to waste or no funds to purchase even a
    shitty 2nd hand M0BO to test with. It is possible a faulty device is
    causing all these problems but you would needs significant motivation
    to be bothered trying, these days.

    And finally, I have mine own opinions on MS and Licences, not to be
    aired here but I did use your words in a Google/Deja search to
    give you something to go away with.
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/yqcq6r
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...a0d18?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#fc065f016bba0d18

    That link answers your question as did this post:
    MiD: <4651428e$0$21548$>
    The link also covers what I allude to and gives a position on OEM
    licensing.
    Your best avenue is to determine the state of the hardware, get
    yourself an OEM key and rewrite the drive. Thousands do this every
    day, millions in China<s>

    It is not always possible to read what we wish to hear.

    ciao

    HPD

    Hoo Phung Dungh, May 29, 2007
  13. klumze

    - Bobb - Guest

    Comments inline:

    Have your friend find a neighbor who can help him with this:

    go to
    download that file - it's about 2 mb
    Have neighbor burn it to CD
    bring to your buddy's house
    Boot XP
    Install Belarc program from CD.
    Run program ( try it yourself on your PC)
    It lists all the license info ( scroll down bottom)
    BUT, prior to REINSTALLING XP PRO ( which I don't think will work - you
    are not " UPGRADING"), rather than INSTALL, have your friend try REPAIR
    from boot menu. Could probably call the college too - the IS folks are
    usually pretty helpful.

    more comments below:
    So NOTHING on the motherboard is working other than the video card the
    CD and the system disk. If you have him check Device Manager - do the
    devices APPEAR there ?

    Start- run - C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc ( he can BROWSE there
    rather than typing that out)

    Does it show a Floppy disk/USB devices etc with a red X ?
    or does it not show them at all ?

    Start-run - C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc
    go to Event viewer - system
    have him scroll down until he sees most recent startup

    Event ID: 6009
    Date: stamp
    Time: stamp

    have him follow along in time - any ERRORS ( in red) ?
    Or have him click "View" up top - uncheck "info" , etc so only errors
    checked)
    Post them here

    How far into the install does it get ? 2 minutes or 30 minutes? Does it
    reach the point where it reboots ? Has he removed the CD before it
    reboots that second time ? ( Don't ASSUME that he knows that - process
    starts over - he thinks - bad CD since I can't get beyond that screen
    ?? ) Does he know anyone else (near him) that has ANY XP Home CD ?
    Unless it's a driver issue for an onboard device ( like the Dell onboard
    network chip) , ANY XP Home CD might do for now. If he gets read error
    on neighbor's CD too - or better yet a COPY of neighbors XP Home CD,
    then it's not his CD - it his PC's inability to move data to that part
    of memory.
    Again - If he can afford it, I would have your buddy spend $50 for a new
    hard drive - make this easier on him.
    Copy his XP Home Cd and XP Pro CD to the hard drive. Install from there.

    *******************
    *******************
    WHOA ! I've had friends whose kids copied their buddies CD onto the C:\
    drive - overwriting all of the system files. If not that, did the son :
    OPEN the PC ?
    ( maybe loosen cable/mem stick)

    Download some (infected) shareware software ?

    LOAD any programs ?
    ( Virus ? or overwrote system files ? )

    Have him open C:\ in Windows Explorer and sort by date - anything
    dated <whenever this started> ?

    Did your friend run a virus scan ?

    Did he check to see if the school created a
    " Install" or "i386" folder on his C drive that contains the contents
    of the install CD ?

    - Bobb -, May 29, 2007
  14. klumze

    Brian Guest

    Another thought I had...Why not just go back to the college and ask them for
    the Product Key. They should have your friend on a list of people who
    purchased the disk and would be able to provide him with teh number he needs
    to reinstall. You should be able to reinstall from the upgrade disk, you
    just have to insert the XP Home disk into the drive when it is asked for
    during setup (only applies to upgrade disks not OEM)

    Brian, May 30, 2007
  15. klumze

    klumze Guest

    The computer will not boot at all now so its being junked, my buddy is just
    going to buy a new computer with Vista.
    Thank you to everyone who tried to help.
    klumze

    klumze, May 30, 2007
  16. [relocate response to Order]

    As a Point of Order, I note you avoid addressing the issue above.
    I understand why and I understand the culture that fosters this kind
    of denial. I do not hold such a thing against you , personally, buuut
    you could help yourself in future by placing the fact some folks have
    looooong memories (and keep personal archives) in front of the
    keyboard as you type responses.

    Just a friendly tip in a not so friendly environ.

    /cut
    /nodding
    ...wise decision. This time be choosy on what is purchased.

    I have only just been introduced to Ms. Vixen so whilst the blood is
    hot and pumping I pass on the experience I had.
    Over April/May I purchased a configured box and two OEM laptops.
    None for mine own use, all "love jobs".
    The box has a 2.3MHz CPU and 1GB of RAM.
    The laptops have 1.73GHz CPUs and 512MB of RAM.

    The OS was a product called "XP Vista Basic".

    "Out of the Box" the MidiTower was marginally - and I do mean _very_
    marginal - the better performer. To be expected you would think, but
    when you factor in that the laptops ran like Win95 A did (on 8MB of
    RAM) you would understand I was not impressed.
    The experience left me thinking we (global pop) are on the same
    Merry-Go-Round Gates started back in the "look at my new GUI" days.
    The period immediately after Windows for Workgroups 3.11, heady stuff

    :-^
    As there are no formed hacks as yet for the newest of _that genre_
    I soon had the beast ripped from its shell and new tenants moved in.
    XP Pro//SP2 Lite runs like the Shuttle on the newer architecture. It
    gets you there and back fast, only crashing once in a Blue moon. Not
    bad for a product that has been 8 years in the developing of - with
    some of the cleverest imported brains working at it.

    btw, last I heard, the Shuttle still uses Win98OEM..just like those of
    who know, and also have an interface need for a Windows GUI<G>
    http://www.slashnot.com/articles/363/
    http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

    This guy is so FOS its a wonder he can get his Big Shirts washed !
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsvista/torres_duel.mspx

    Suggest to your buddy he get the Walmart guy to slip out the back and
    rip the innards out before the machine is delivered.

    ...leave a dollar on the Fridge on the way out. I collect for
    Red Cross :)

    HPD

    Hoo Phung Dungh, May 31, 2007
  17. klumze

    klumze Guest

    [relocate response to Order]

    As a Point of Order, I note you avoid addressing the issue above.
    I understand why and I understand the culture that fosters this kind
    of denial. I do not hold such a thing against you , personally, buuut
    you could help yourself in future by placing the fact some folks have
    looooong memories (and keep personal archives) in front of the
    keyboard as you type responses.

    Just a friendly tip in a not so friendly environ.

    I did not mean to offend anyone, if I did I'm sorry. I also did not intend
    to avoid your comments
    no I was not making my mine or my buddys problem into yours or anyones
    problem, if it reads that way
    again I'm sorry.

    I finily did figure out the problem, it was not the HD it was the
    Southbridge chip set on the MB.

[...]

    I fail to see what any of this has to do with anything having to do to with
    my question/problem?
    Klumze

    klumze, May 31, 2007
  18. Nothing, nothing at all to do with your original question.
    Having seen you get yourself into some difficulty, followed by
    a degree of (ummm) -embaressing-unwitting-evasion- I simply took the
    time to _g i v e_ you a "Heads Up" on a very recent experience of
    mine. One that should help an astute purchaser. It's there, take it or
    leave it. It is given _freely_...
    /shrug

    I and others will appreciate your response given to the question:
    <quote>
    I did not mean to offend anyone, if I did I'm sorry. I also did not
    intend to avoid your comments
    </quote>

    ciao..and Good Luck to you and your Family

    HPD

    Hoo Phung Dungh, Jun 1, 2007