    Is there a possibility of replacing these files and how

    all help appreciated
    Cheers

    Peter, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Peter

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Peter

    Mainlander Guest

    How did you "reinstall"?

    Mainlander, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Tried re-installing using the original cd, when that did not work I
    tried just installing the cab files

    Peter, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Peter

    Mainlander Guest

    Did you remove all Windows files from the computer first?

    Mainlander, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    no I only installed over the win98se I did not format and start again
    I did that about a month ago but the same problem only re occured
    maybe these files are corupt on the cd but it does not appear to have
    any scratches and I used it to set up my partners comp without the same
    errors.

    Peter, Feb 13, 2004
  7. Peter

    Mainlander Guest

    If you didn't remove the files to begin with then chances are they were
    not reinstalled. Windows setup typically does not reinstall files if they
    are an older version than what already exists.

    Remove all the Windows files (deltree Windows and deltree Program Files)
    or format the drive before you install Windows.

    Mainlander, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    ouch! guess that is the only way
    Thanks anyway will start backing everything up and try yet again

    cheers

    Peter, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Peter

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    You can replace those files by running system file checker, Start -
    Run - SFC - Ok

    Msvcrt.dll is a common cause of problems as there's a lot of different
    versions & installing software can often over-write the original. Its
    one of the Visual C runtime libraries. Restoring that may fix it, if
    not look for a corrupted Control panel app. CP apps have the file
    extension .cpl, can find them by doing a search on C:\ . Look for
    anything with a different date & try renaming the extension(s)

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Feb 14, 2004