kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Olivier, May 16, 2005.

  1. Olivier

    Olivier Guest

    Hi all

    I have the following error message:

    May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying
    May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying
    May 04 20:44:54 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    May 04 20:47:05 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    and after the client stay waiting
    and you can ping rlogin ssh ... to the serveur.

    the server is: Red Hat 9 with only udp nfs v2 and v3 protocol
    the client is: RHEL 3

    there is no firewall on the both machines, it is a local network.

    Any help will be deeply appreciated!
    Olivier

    Olivier, May 16, 2005

  2. Olivier

    davegu1 Guest

    What type of hardware is involved.

    David

    davegu1, May 17, 2005

  3. Please don't top-post.

    Anyway, the type of hardware is irrelevant to a first approximation.
    I can't explain why this is, but it is a VERY common phenomon, and
    I have seen it on many different transports (and that is counting
    all Ethernets as one!) What it means is that there has been a
    glitch (maybe on the network, maybe a scheduler delay, maybe a
    too-tight timeout setting) and NFS has recovered. My success rate
    at tracking down the trigger is poor, and that of tracking down the
    cause is nil.

    Most people ignore it, which is why it is still so common :-(

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

    Nick Maclaren, May 18, 2005
  4. Olivier

    davegu1 Guest

    Is there a code somewhere where someone can take a look at what code
    could this be causing the message.

    David

    davegu1, May 18, 2005
  5. Olivier

    Olivier Guest

    Hi all,

    There are no hardware problem, I have already change the switch and the cable.

    The client that fail is a v20z from Sun Microsystems, an I have also 15 clients
    on several platforms as solaris 9 on sparc, some PC in Solaris 10 and fedora core 3.

    I don't have any log for this problem.

    Olivier.

    Olivier, May 18, 2005