Keeping Waterproof Case Lens Glass Free From Water Drops

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Splat, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. Splat

    Splat Guest

    I've got a Canon Powershot S40 which I bought primarily because Canon
    offers a waterproof case for it. I windsurf alot so I thought it
    would be great for some on-the-water pics.

    When I use my camera, I am not submerged. I am floating on the water,
    constantly being splashed.

    I've had a number of good shots ruined because a water drop decided to
    block an important part of my pic.

    Does anybody have some tips on how to prevent this?

    Recently, I tried using Rain-X, which is a product designed to keep
    water from beading up on car windshields. I didn't completely solve
    the problem, but it may have helped a bit. (I only applied one coat .
    .. . maybe several coats would be better.)

    Is there any chance that Rain-X, or a similar product, may damage any
    coatings on a lens surface? (It looks to me that the lens portion of
    the waterproof case is not coated, but I'm not sure.)

    TIA

    Splat, Aug 24, 2003

  2. As Greg said, you need something just the opposite of RainX. While the
    detergent will work, you may need it now that you used RainX to help get
    that crap off your lens, but I suggest photoflow as a better safer solution.

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 24, 2003

  3. Splat

    G Guest

    I found the same problem with my s300 case, submerged in water it is fine,
    above it's hit and miss due to drops. I wash the lens with a solution of
    water and dishwashing liquid (just a weak mixture in a small squeeze bottle)
    , the water dosen't bead then and it seems to work well. Use some
    dishwashing liquid that breaks down, be nice to the sea / lake.

    Greg

    G, Aug 24, 2003