Keeping Proprietary Software Secret

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2009.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2009

  2. That may be the prevailing industry practice, but studies have shown
    that doing things properly (most effort in the design stage) normally
    actually takes *less* time than a hack job, as there are few bugs that
    need to be found and fixed.

    Stephen Worthington, May 15, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Academia views as essential many things which industry tends to view as
    I think you have missed the most important one for an embedded system
    - correct high-level design.

    Embedded systems almost always have a number of tasks and/or interrupt
    routines that must work together. Defining the task responsibilities,
    task priorities, critical code areas and the interfaces between tasks
    are the key design steps that make the difference. Miss this step,and
    you are likely to end up with a product that has intermittent bugs
    that you cannot reproduce. I have actually fixed more than one system
    that was reasonably well documented, but the underlying design was
    flawed.

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 15, 2009