Keep loosing connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi

    Hope some one can help.

    Have just set up wireless network at home. Have wired desktop to Linksys
    HG200 (802.11g) router via ethernet connection. Trying to use laptop as
    wireless. Laptop has a PRISM 802.11g wireless adapter built into machine.

    When I switch on laptop it finds the wireless network OK and shows as strong
    signal. It lets me connect to internet but then drops the connection within
    about 1 or 2 minutes. If I then go back to view network connections it still
    sees the network but won't reconnect unless i re-boot the laptop.

    Have spoken to the relevant "helpdesks" but got nowhere so any help would be
    appreciated

    I am running XP pro on both machines.

    Cheers

    Guest, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Guest

    Michael Dunn Guest

    : Hi
    :
    : Hope some one can help.
    :
    : Have just set up wireless network at home. Have wired desktop to Linksys
    : HG200 (802.11g) router via ethernet connection. Trying to use laptop as
    : wireless. Laptop has a PRISM 802.11g wireless adapter built into machine.
    :
    : When I switch on laptop it finds the wireless network OK and shows as strong
    : signal. It lets me connect to internet but then drops the connection within
    : about 1 or 2 minutes. If I then go back to view network connections it still
    : sees the network but won't reconnect unless i re-boot the laptop.
    :
    : Have spoken to the relevant "helpdesks" but got nowhere so any help would be
    : appreciated

    First up, I know zip about wireless or networking, but I've recently had something
    similar - couldn't get through to any web site, reboot then OK.
    Help desk guy had me open control panel/network connections
    which listed 3 items
    1) 1394 something (firewire???) - "connected" (to what I have no idea)
    2) lan connection - "not connected"
    (the computer icons in the taskbar show "not connected - cable unplugged")
    3) wireless connection - "connected"

    told me to right click lan connection and select "disable"
    immediately fixed the problem
    he said sometimes there is a conflict between the two

    this might or may not fix your problem but its worth a try

    Michael Dunn, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Guest

    Dougbert Guest

    Dougbert, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Thanks for the link. I'm struggling with the same thing myself. I've got a
    Belkin G router with three desktops and a laptop on the network. My
    desktop is wired to the router, the two others connect wirelessly in the
    rooms next to the one where my desktop is. In one room, the desktop loses
    it's connection and when it is connected, it never gets a signal stronger
    than 8 mbs while the desktop in the other room gets a consistent 48+ mbps
    connection. The one losing the connection is only about 25 feet from the
    router separated by the wall between the two rooms. The one getting the 48+
    mbps connection never loses the signal and is about ten feet from the router
    separated by the two walls. The laptop get a strong signal anywhere in the
    house and outside without ever losing a connection. Belkin replaced the
    router, same problem and has suggested lowering the encryption.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 7, 2005