    possible?

    Thanks in advance.
    coolchinchilla

    coolchinchilla, Mar 20, 2005

  2. coolchinchilla

    Moz Champion Guest

    No, because the focus has to shift to the program that can show you the
    link.

    Workaround, Set the Firefox (or Thunderbird) window askew from the
    Thunderbird (or Firefox) window, then you can simply switch between the
    two by clicking on the window, getting whichever it is you want back
    into focus.

    i.e. you are reading a message in Thunderbird, and click on a link. It
    will launch Firefox, and the focus will move to Firefox. Now, simply
    click on the Thunderbird window and you are back in Thunderbird with the
    focus exactly where it was prior to your clicking. Firefox will stay
    active in the background

    Moz Champion, Mar 20, 2005

  3. coolchinchilla

    Tony Raven Guest

    That's not the case when I open links to eg a Word doc in FF. It flips
    to the Word doc until its fully loaded and then back to FF automatically.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Mar 20, 2005
  4. coolchinchilla

    Moz Champion Guest

    Apples and oranges.

    Moz Champion, Mar 20, 2005
  5. coolchinchilla

    Danny Colyer Guest

    and Tony Raven responded:
    That /used/ to happen when I clicked on links in TB to be opened in FF.
    Focus would shift to FF until the page was loaded, then it would shift
    back to TB. I'm not sure what (if anything) I changed, so I can't offer
    any help to the OP other than to confirm that it should be possible.

    Danny Colyer, Mar 20, 2005
  6. coolchinchilla

    Newfdog Guest

    I'd like that too. Perhaps some future version will have that option.

    Newfdog

    Newfdog, Mar 21, 2005
  7. coolchinchilla

    Travis Evans Guest

    It doesn't necessarily *have* to. I think Firefox has a hidden
    preference to keep it in the background. I think it was called
    "browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground," which can be accessed from
    about:config. If that doesn't work, there should be extensions to do it
    (I used to use some that would keep the browser in the background).

    Travis Evans, Mar 21, 2005