K3B is back in business!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    After some time of K3B in Kubuntu creating coasters, with some trepidation I
    tried the new version in dapper.

    In breezy K3B was creating coasters, so burning discs was a case of create
    the image in ubuntu, reboot to slackware, burn the disc, and then boot back
    to ubuntu.

    K3B in dapper has an improved interface, theres all the options from before
    but with pritty icons

    I selected Tools -> Burn CD Image
    Browsed for the .iso which k3b then automagically calculated the md5sum,
    which is nice... for beginners :\

    I then click start, and held my breath

    The cd burnt and no I/O issues!
    I double checked with cmp, and the image was a) readable, and b) without
    error

    Final test, I rebooted and the cd booted. Sweet :)

    I note a DVD option, and a VCD option which I plan on testing at a later
    date

    But anyone who had previously given up on K3B on [k]ubuntu can now use it
    again

    Shane, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Ah shit I should add
    $ k3b -v
    Qt: 3.3.6
    KDE: 3.5.3
    K3b: 0.12.14

    Shane, Jul 23, 2006

  3. I should have thought the production of coasters (or not) would have been a
    function of the burning engine back-end, on top of which K3B is just a
    pretty face.

    The two common back-ends are cdrecord and growisofs. I've never had coaster
    trouble with either of them.

    The original cdrecord guy, Jörg Schilling, is a SCSI fanatic, who would
    prefer it if all ATA devices pretended to be SCSI ones. He also sells a
    version of cdrecord with DVD support. The SuSE folks hacked DVD-minus (but
    not DVD-plus) into their version of cdrecord. But nowadays for DVDs I just
    use growisofs, which does both DVD-plus and DVD-minus, but not CDs.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Shane

    Shane Guest

    I have to admit, cdburning is one job where Im very happy for the GUI to
    take over and do the hard yards. I can however attest that I have indeed
    burnt cd's from the commandline before. Since the 2.6 kernel its been as
    easy as cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc /path/to/my.iso

    Coasters however, have been an issue with ubuntu breezy linux, which I
    suspect broke something in the backend, but which is now fixed (hence my
    post) and K3B.

    It *may* have been the parameters passed by Ubuntus K3B, it *may* have been
    the cdrecord being borked. It *may* have been a lot of things, none of
    which I investigated.

    Shane, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Oddly enough, the one time I tried to guide a client through using K3B (on
    SuSE 9.3), he had coaster trouble, too.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Shane

    jasen Guest

    the details you should note is the version of cdrdao and/or cdrecord
    which are the software that makes the coasters (or not), K3B just
    bosses them around

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 23, 2006