JVC Camcorder

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tigercat, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    first let me apologize for the lack of specifics here, but today I tried to
    help my father transfer his camcorder video [my nephew's high school
    graduation] onto his computer [Win XP Home]. We connected one USB cable
    from the CAM to the PC, and I could see the PC - USB window on the CAM.
    However, I didn't see or know anyway to play or transfer the video from the
    CAM to the PC.

    i don't recall the model number of the JVC CAM, but was wondering if anyone
    might have any ideas as to what we may have missed? there was one other
    cable I didn't try, it had three different colored pins to plug in [i think
    red, white and yellow], but of course, there wasn't a corresponding color
    sequence on the back of the computer.

    we were able to run the video on his Sony TV, but we couldn't figure out how
    to run or transfer it onto the PC.

    any help appreciated!

    thanks.

    tigercat, Jun 13, 2004

  2. tigercat

    Paul - xxx Guest

    tigercat posted:
    XP usually 'sees' when a new device on a USB port is slotted in. I would
    leave PC running, connect the cable to the cam, then to the PC, then turn
    the camera on and switch it to whichever setting is suitable for file
    transfer which should be noted in your 'quick-start' guide or whatever JVC
    call it. From there an XP Wizard _should_ take over and ask you whatyou
    want to do and where you want to download the movies to .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jun 13, 2004

  3. tigercat

    Boomer Guest

    Hi

    Maybe something here?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/movies/starting.a
    sp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/movies/firststeps
    ..asp

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-
    1&q=transfer+videos+to+computer

    HTH

    Boomer, Jun 13, 2004
  4. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    thanks paul. actually, i did exactly what you described, and i even
    downloaded the specific JVC CAM USB driver for Win XP Home. i know that CAM
    was set properly cause it showed "USB-PC" in the window. the problem is
    that Win XP never prompted me to do anything. perhaps i didn't wait long
    enough. i don't know. i had the CAM set to Memory instead of video which i
    believe is the correct setting in order to enable USB.

    thanks again!

    tigercat, Jun 13, 2004
  5. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    thanks boomer - you're not a david wells fan by any chance are you?

    anyway, those links do seem instructive and helpful, but someone is also
    suggesting that the PC needs a specific card to be able to run, play, burn
    video from a camcorder to a PC.

    so i'm not sure if the PC should just recognize the USB connection and than
    windows movie maker should prompt me for what to do, or if i need to buy
    some other hardware device for my dad's PC?

    thanks again!

    tigercat, Jun 13, 2004
  6. tigercat

    Boomer Guest

    Nope. Old time Yankees fan.
    You read all 825,000 of them already? ;o)

    Boomer, Jun 13, 2004
  7. tigercat

    Trev Guest

    Normally Digital camcorders us Firewire to transfer DV video(allows the pc
    to control the camcorder during download). USB to transfer stills. check the
    manual for your camcorder

    Trev, Jun 13, 2004
  8. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    thanks trev! you may be onto something there because there's two connection
    types on the CAM: a USB one which i know works to transfer still pics, and
    a DV one which we couldn't find the cable for. thanks again!

    tigercat, Jun 13, 2004
  9. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    i'm also a yankees fan, my dad wouldn't allow us to root for any other team
    growing up and even today!

    about the links, i read the MS ones, the other multi link pages were saved
    for gradual reading and education.

    take care and thanks again!

    tigercat, Jun 13, 2004
  10. tigercat

    Hywel Guest

    What software are you using to capture the video from the camera?

    http://www.microsoft.com/moviemaker/ may help.

    Hywel, Jun 13, 2004
  11. tigercat

    tigercat Guest

    we had windows movie maker and some other software too, but none seemed to
    work.

    thank you.

    tigercat, Jun 13, 2004
  12. tigercat

    Boomer Guest

    Good father. ;)
    You're welcome. Good luck on your movies. I have to go fix a
    scanner now. :)

    Boomer, Jun 13, 2004
  13. tigercat

    Hamman Guest

    Providing the camera had a connector labeled 'DV' or '1394' you need to buy
    an Firewire PCI card (about £10 GBP) and a firewire cable (about £5 GBP).
    The USB will be for using the camera as a still capture device, the firewire
    will be for digital video.

    You also need some capture software, i recommend Adobe Preimere Pro, or if
    youre doing it on the cheap, windows movie maker 2.

    hamman

    Hamman, Jun 13, 2004
  14. Dude, you need to open you video capture program, like a MPEG program (like
    Windows Movie Maker). Then, you need to play the video on the cam while
    your program captures it. It takes a really long time. I have a Panasonic
    MiniDV cam and it takes about 15 seconds to transfer every 1 second of
    video. You read that correctly. It takes about 14-15 hours to transfer 1
    hour of video.
    You need to bust out your manual, and any CD-ROMs that came with the cam,
    and make sure you have the video-capture program installed. Then you need
    to learn how to use it in conjunction with the cam.

    Good luck.

    pablo fuentes, Jun 15, 2004