Just WHAT is the meaning of THIS?!..

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by thekmanrocks, Jul 28, 2013.

  1. thekmanrocks

    thekmanrocks Guest

    thekmanrocks, Jul 28, 2013

  2. thekmanrocks

    Paul Guest

    It's Microsoft Vista for tablets.

    That window, is like a menu on an older OS, that
    takes up the entire width of the screen. That is
    what the new OS brings, operations that hide the
    rest of the screen.

    If you can afford two monitors, it functions a lot better,
    as that stuff can be put on one monitor, and your "ordinary"
    desktop on the other monitor. You can then, kinda, see
    what you're doing.

    http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conte...s-on-finger-pointing-start-button-640x353.jpg

    With only one LCD monitor, it's just an annoying OS. As
    you effectively switch from viewing the desktop, to viewing
    one of the new pasted-on functions. And back again.

    *******

    You can try the preview if you want, but only install this
    on a *blank* hard drive, not over top of your regular OS.
    Or, you'll be sorry. While this was installing, I only
    had my blank hard drive connected to the computer, so nothing
    bad could happen. After the install was finished, I connected
    all the other hard drives again.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download

    What you'll discover, is that OS cannot run on just any computer.
    The computer has to be reasonably modern. For example, my
    second best computer has a Core2 processor (good enough),
    but the video card is too old, and the screen stays stuck
    at 1024x768 if there is no video card driver. The OS still
    works, but things are a bit fuzzy. Only one computer here,
    can actually run Win8/Win8.1 properly. And that's the computer
    I'm typing this on. For many older computers, you don't
    have to worry, as that OS won't install. It'll check the
    hardware first, and reject the install.

    The license key on the preview will be valid, until Win8.1
    goes up for sale. When the stores stop selling Win8 discs
    and switch to Win8.1, that would be roughly when the
    license key on the preview will be invalid, and stop
    working. The date should really be listed on the above
    page, but I don't see it. An unofficial answer is
    January 15, 2014.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 28, 2013

  3. thekmanrocks

    thekmanrocks Guest

    thekmanrocks, Jul 28, 2013
  4. thekmanrocks

    Paul Guest

    Your link won't open for me.

    If you're referring to regular menus, they can be
    added with third party software.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8

    Those probably won't override the start button on Win8.1 version,
    so it'll be interesting to see the results when testing those
    on 8.1.

    It's not possible to remove Metro engine, without side effects.
    If the tiles were completely removed (no GUI subsystem to make
    them run), then some other decorations in the desktop stop working
    as well. So "hammering" the GUI components in Windows 8, would
    not be a complete success.

    I used ClassicShell when testing Win8 preview, but did not
    install it on my actual Win8 (bought version) installation.
    That's to keep the Win8 OS more in its "reference" state.
    Unmodified. I only test in Win8, rather than using it as
    a daily OS.

    This is Classic Shell. If you accidentally click on some
    data file, which has the mapping set to a Metro application,
    you still get thrown into a Metro screen. For example, on
    this machine, if I clicked on a PDF file, the Metro PDF
    reader would open. With painstaking work, you can undo
    all the file mappings, and stop that.

    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2395/classicshell.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 28, 2013
  5. thekmanrocks

    Paul Guest

    Yep,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 29, 2013
  6. thekmanrocks

    thekmanrocks Guest

    Well, that means I'm holding on to my Vista SP2 system as long as I can keep it going.

    That Windows 8 interface is a MESS.

    thekmanrocks, Jul 29, 2013
  7. thekmanrocks

    Paul Guest

    The mistake is putting a mobile interface GUI, on a desktop.

    The Metro part might make sense on a 4" mobile device.
    It's just a waste of real estate on a desktop.

    And the lack of touch screens, means practical touch screen
    gesturing, is years away. I don't plan on buying a new LCD
    monitor, anytime soon. If my current one breaks, I have
    a replacement I bought for $100 on sale, that will be
    taking over. I'll be getting a touchscreen, around 2023 :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 29, 2013
  8. thekmanrocks

    thekmanrocks Guest

    Paul:

    Just went into a Staples the other day and the Tech guy showed me how to bring up the normal looking desktop:

    Just click the square labeled "Desktop"! No need to download 3rd party anything. :)

    thekmanrocks, Aug 9, 2013
  9. thekmanrocks

    Paul Guest

    If someone tells you all the tricks, it's great.

    But if one of those Metro apps starts for some
    reason, you could still be in for a surprise.
    (Because there's no "X" on it, to dismiss it.)
    To me, that's just bad design. A dual-mode OS needs
    two escape routes for Houdini :) Not just the one.
    Even if they'd bound the "escape" key to an escape
    like function, that would have been better than
    nothing.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 9, 2013
  10. thekmanrocks

    thekmanrocks Guest

    My point was it is right under our noses. No 3rd party anything required.

    On the other hand, when you are in Windows 8's "traditional" desktop(as we've come to know the past 18 years), clicking "Start" leads back to the dog's breakfast - instead of a tree as it does in 7 and editions prior.

    -The K-Man

    thekmanrocks, Aug 12, 2013
  11. thekmanrocks

    Robert Baer Guest

    Well, be advised that dogs tend to "place their marker" on trees.

    Robert Baer, Aug 13, 2013