Just what is a photograph

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Nov 25, 2008.

  1. Pat

    Celcius Guest

    If your definition of painting is anything like your definition of
    photography, then a housepainter must be a master artist because when
    he's done, it looks like a house.

    Pat,
    I don't think you've understood my point. If I talked about "photography", I
    slipped up.
    All I'm saying is that a *painting* is one thing, a *photograph* is another.
    A painting has more to do with interpretation. When a painting simply
    _replicates a scene_, it's deemed to be LIKE a photograph, which in reality
    should not be in the realm of a painting.
    Both can be an art in the inspiration, the rendition, the overall effect on
    the onlooker.
    However, by definition (dictionaries et al), a photograph is defined
    _simply_ as "a picture made with a camera", camera meaning an enclosure
    (could be a cellular), a lens (a pinhole) and some type of material (film,
    glass, paper, celluloid, what not) which records the light.
    To each its own.
    Cheers,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Dec 2, 2008

  2. Pat

    Celcius Guest

    Reproducing an image by using light to shine of a photo-sensitive
    material defines a photocopy as a photograph. The copier provides a
    very faithful reproduction of the original. Therefore, the
    photocopier operator must be an extraordinarily skilled photographer
    because of his/her ability to create such a faithful picture. So all
    the skill it takes to be a photographer is to push the start button on
    a photocopier and let technology do the rest? That doesn't say much
    for your view of photography.

    Pat,
    C'mon. Make an effort, please!
    I think we're going round and round on this one.
    A photocopier _reproduces an image_ from a photograph. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!
    It's NOT a photograph.
    Take care,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Pat

    Celcius Guest

    Shiva,
    Let's take Rembrandt's (master of the clair obscur) Nightwatch for instance.
    My point is simply this, that particular painting does NOT look like a
    photograph.
    By the way, camera Lucida is a19th century inventi9on, a tad before
    Rembrandt ;-)))
    Cheers,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Dec 2, 2008
  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    My photocopier has a lens and a light sensitive sensor sitting down
    inside an enclosure. It is a very large, very expensive digital
    camera. One of my old photocopiers was not digital and recorded onto
    a light-sensitive drum. In either case, they meet the definition of a
    camera. I can either print the image or scan to my hard drive -- just
    like a digital camera scans to disc. Because it also prints, it's
    just like a Polaroid.

    It is very, very hard to define "camera" in such a way as to exclude a
    copier unless you get into "intent" or "purpose".

    Pat, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Pat

    Peter Guest

    I have come to the conclusion that "photography" isn't a word so much
    as it is a catch-all for a variety of other things. After all,
    digital photography doesn't meet an old-fashioned definition of
    photography. Then there is the whole concept of camera. Do you need
    a camera to take a picture? Is that thing in your pocket a phone that
    takes pictures or a camera that receives phone calls?

    It seems to me that turning on the copy machine when one of the secretaries
    is sitting on it, during an office party is still a photograph.

    Peter, Dec 3, 2008
  6. Pat

    tony cooper Guest

    The trompe l'oeil painting style is about as close to photography as
    art gets. The French term, which means "trick the eye", describes a
    painting so realistic that the viewer thinks the scene is real. René
    Magritte is probably the single-most known painter in this style.

    The Cloisters, in NYC, had a mural on display that was so realistic
    that I had to walk up so close my nose almost pressed against it
    before I could tell it was a painting.

    tony cooper, Dec 3, 2008
  7. Pat

    Celcius Guest

    Reproducing an image by using light to shine of a photo-sensitive
    material defines a photocopy as a photograph. The copier provides a
    very faithful reproduction of the original. Therefore, the
    photocopier operator must be an extraordinarily skilled photographer
    because of his/her ability to create such a faithful picture. So all
    the skill it takes to be a photographer is to push the start button on
    a photocopier and let technology do the rest? That doesn't say much
    for your view of photography.

    Pat,
    What you are describing here is a photocopy or a copy of a photograph /
    picure.
    The output is a _photopcopy_, not a photograph. Ask anyone who uses such an
    equipment.
    You say: "I'll make a copy" or "I'll make a photocopy", not "I'll make a
    photograph".
    Now, there are those who sit on the machine during wild office parties... Is
    the output a copy of a photo? I'll leave it to your creativity ;-)
    It seems to me we're running round in circlres to no avail, and this
    discussion is far from being productive.
    So, I'll refrain from now on and attend to more important matters.
    I wish you and Shiva Das as well as your recpective families a very merry
    Xmas!
    May the light of these festivities shine upon your minds and imprint
    pleasant memories (photographs?).
    Best regards,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Dec 3, 2008
  8. Pat

    Peter Guest

    Some painters spend years trying to get their paintings to look like
    photographs.
    Some photographers spend years trying to get their photographs to look like
    paintings.
    After photographers acquire this skill some individuals claim those images
    are not
    photographs.

    Peter, Dec 3, 2008