Just passed 70-620 and need some guidance

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Rezzin07, Sep 28, 2009.

  1. Rezzin07

    Rezzin07 Guest

    I recently got laid off from my company of 11 years. I did mostly vendor
    support for Dell / EMC and have mostly hardware level experience (SAN / NAS /
    Server hardware install / config) but now want to go back to my roots and
    work on my MS knowledge. Until the 70-620, the last MS exam I took was
    Network Essentials and NT 4.0!

    So, to get my feet wet I just picked up the MS Press 70-620 book and passed
    the test. I visited the MS learning site and really confused and just how
    many paths there are now to certification bliss. I am most likely looking to
    certify for deskside level positions but would also like to cover my server
    OS knowledge as well (looking to also take the Exchange exam).

    Since my working experience is lacking, I'm using VMWare to simulate a small
    LAN to use as a lab for the time being. I've got Vista, XP, 7, and need to
    purchase 2003 server to complete this.

    So my question is this (thank you for taking the time to read this far) -
    Can anyone suggest a good certification route / path that would allow me to
    build off my previous exams/knowledge while effectively advancing to
    something like an MCSE or MCTIP or what not? My current employer has offered
    to pay for my exams so really want to take advantage of this.

    One thing I've learned the hard way - never trust a company 100%.

    Thanks in advance!

    Rezzin07, Sep 28, 2009

  2. God Bless You.. but u got a lot of catchin' up to do, my friend. :)

    If you'd like to start at "desktop support", and that's probably a good
    entry point having been out of the loop for several years, the cert you
    probably want to focus on is the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician.

    The good news is that your NetEss and NT4 background is not entirely lost.
    Truth is, you've probably passed a number of hurdles that brand new people
    still have to cross -- and that's "fundamentals".

    Since you've already got the -620, you might want to look at the -680
    (Windows 7);
    or go ahead and jump into the MCITP: EST.
    Awesome! Definitely take avantage of that!
    hehe.. true... like, get them to buy the voucher and then use the voucher to
    schedule the exam, rather than pay first and get reimbursement.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 28, 2009

  3. Rezzin07

    Andrew B Guest

    I just passed my 70-620 today also!

    My path is:
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician - Exam 70-620 & Exam 70-622
    MCITP: Server Administrator - Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642 & Exam 70-646
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - Exam 70-643 & Exam 70-647 (plus above
    exams)

    I suggest that you take the 70-622 as I am doing now then you will have an
    MCITP badge to display(Quickest route to MCITP).

    After that my server path is outlined above.

    Look on the Microsoft learning site and look at the MCTS's that interest you
    and then decide what path would interest you.

    Well done on Passing BTW!!!

    Andrew.

    Andrew B, Oct 2, 2009