    I want to start it programmatically so I cannot use a softphone.

    Regards,

    Markus

    Markus R., Oct 13, 2006

  2. Markus R.

    Brian Guest

    You could investigate using a SIP testing tool. There are a number about
    but sipsak might be worth looking at. Never having used it for the
    purpose you have in mind I've no real idea whether it will do what you
    want, but it can send SIP requests and search for strings in the
    replies.

    Brian.

    Brian, Oct 14, 2006

  3. Markus R.

    alexd Guest

    In order to do this, you would have to know how long the ring tone is of the
    target phone.

    alexd, Oct 14, 2006
  4. Markus R.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Eh..? A phone will ring for as long as ringing voltage is applied. For a
    POTS phone the duration of a ring cycle is determined by the exchange, for
    a VoIP phone it would be the ATA. Sipura devices amongst others have a
    facility to change this, others do not.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 14, 2006
  5. Markus R.

    Jono Guest

    I think he means that, in order to make a phone at the remote end ring ONLY
    once, some experimentation would be required. After all, when the caller
    hears "ring ring", the person at the other end may not have heard the phone
    actually ring.

    Jono, Oct 14, 2006
  6. Markus R.

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Indeed. In fact some systems when you call then you don't hear *any*
    ringing tone, they just answer immediately. There is no sure-fire 100%
    bullet proof way that the caller can be sure that the remote phone has
    rung once or at all.

    Before I fixed a bug in my Asterisk system, outgoing ISDN calls always
    produced ringing tone before the destination, even when the destination
    was engaged.

    Desk Rabbit, Oct 14, 2006
  7. Markus R.

    Dave Saville Guest

    I recall working in open plan offices and calling a nearby desk that the
    "ring-ring" via the phone was when the called phone was *not* ringing.

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Oct 15, 2006
  8. Markus R.

    alexd Guest

    I have a similar situation [SIP handsets and ISDN trunks] and I have the
    same 'problem'. It's not a problem once you're used to it, it's just that
    people are easily confused. How did you resolve it? Also, I get All
    Circuits Busy when calling a non-existant number, which again causes
    confusion to the un-initiated.

    alexd, Oct 15, 2006
  9. Markus R.

    Jono Guest

    alexd explained :
    Re-record the "All Circuits Busy" message to something more meaningful.

    Jono, Oct 15, 2006
  10. Markus R.

    alexd Guest

    LOL. I had originally considered that because that's the kind of quick and
    dirty hack that I favour, but then what happens all circuits genuinely are
    busy? [Trixbox 1.1.1 FWIW].

    alexd, Oct 15, 2006
  11. Markus R.

    Jono Guest

    alexd presented the following explanation :
    "You've dialled the wrong number OR all the lines are busy, Please try
    again"

    Jono, Oct 15, 2006
  12. Markus R.

    Markus R. Guest

    To be more precise: I meant that the target device (e.g. a smartphone)
    should be able to notice that a certain number called - it does not matter
    how long it "rings".
    I want to use the ringing to initiate some kind of call-back. An application
    on the target device registers a ringing, the target device connects to the
    internet to deliver data.
    It would be no big deal to use ISDN or an analogue line for this but it
    would require additional phone lines and hardware. That's why I consider
    using VoIP or at least the SIP part of it.

    Now that you have more details - has anyone an idea of how to accomplish
    this?
    I will now start to play around with sipsak :)

    Thanks,

    Markus

    Markus R., Oct 16, 2006
  13. Markus R.

    Jono Guest

    Asterisk can do what you require, at least the callback part - what data do
    you want the target device to deliver?

    Have a look at http://nerdvittles.com under "one ringy-dingy"

    There are VSPs that offer this callback too, such as voipfone, however,
    without knowing what type of data you want to deliver, we're still guessing.

    Jono, Oct 16, 2006
  14. Markus R.

    Graham Guest

    That was the article that whetted my appetite and prompted me to build

    my first Asterisk box.

    In fact, all the VoIP related paraphernalia around here, especially the DECT

    handsets are refered to as "the ringy-dingy"!

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Oct 20, 2006