Just for Grandma

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Jan 2, 2013.

  1. Frank Williams, Jan 2, 2013

  2. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    I have Trend Micro which does all that, and probably a lot more if I knew
    how to use it.

    I'm waiting for the backup disc to arrive for 2013.
    Does anyone know if I can install from the disc instead of the download? I
    installed the 3 months trial from a disc.
    I ask Trend micro things but they never answer what I asked, and their Help
    page never tells me what I want to know. They send me pages of stuff to
    print out that has nothing to do with what I asked them.
    Otherwise they seem a very good firm.

    Now wait for the avalanche of posts telling me I am wasting my money etc!

    Geopelia, Jan 3, 2013

  3. Frank Williams

    Donchano Guest

    I've used paid A/V software since the early-90s. F-Prot is one of the
    early ones I remember. I also used ZoneAlarm until ZoneAlarm Pro
    became so unwieldy that I had to go through the demanding task of
    uninstalling the resource hog.

    Now I use a three-license version Avira Internet Security 2013 on my
    PC, laptop and our daughter/s-i-l's PC. As a back-up I also use
    Malwarebytes freeware version for the occasional scan. After F-Prot
    decided to go corporate and ignore the personal user I used to use
    various versions of Kaspersky. But when it also became a resource hog
    I dumped it.

    Donchano, Jan 3, 2013
  4. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    The term Faint praise indeed comes to mind.
    So, Gentle reader, Geo is going to carry on as normal.;-)

    Gordon, Jan 4, 2013
  5. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    As long as their product does the job, do their clerical shortcomings really
    matter?
    And no doubt I'll still be annoying some folks here with silly questions.

    Happy New Year to all!

    Geopelia, Jan 4, 2013
  6. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    I leave it to the computer man. Trend micro was installed when I got the
    computer and I just get the updates as they come out.

    Geopelia, Jan 5, 2013
  7. Frank Williams

    Donchano Guest

    ZoneAlram Pro turned out to be the biggest resource hog I've ever had
    on a computer. And the more they updated, the slower my last computer
    got. I'd paid for a three year subscription when I upgraded to ZAP and
    I wasn't happy. Ended up phoning the then CEO at their offices in San
    Francisco. Didn't get to speak with him, of course. But spoke with
    some assistant, who was pretty surprised to get a call from a customer
    in NZ telling him their product was causing so many problems.

    He admitted they were aware of some "issues" and - guess what - they
    were "working on resolving them." Sound familiar?

    Anyway, I got a full refund and an email with instructions on how to
    completely remove ZAP from my system. IIRC it was three pages once I
    printed it out. Also got a letter from the CEO apologising for the
    "inconvience" and hoping I'd reconsider my decision to leave the fold.

    Once it was removed and I did a defrag, my computer ran like greased
    lightening in comparison. My current firewall is part of the Avira
    suite I now have.

    Donchano, Jan 5, 2013
  8. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    Have you tried out Microsoft's Family Safety (part of the Windows Live
    sutie). Pretty damn good, IMO.

    If you've tried it out, then I'd like to hear your comparison.

    Personally, I don't run such s/w on my own PC (no kids on it, ever! :) -
    but I do use Microsoft's free AV product, Microsoft Security Essentials,
    which I find excellent. Low on resources, and it "just works".

    I wouldn't touch Norton/Symantec with a 40' barge pole, or even two 40'
    barge poles joined together. And like others, I've questioned Geo as to
    why a user like her (low risk IMO), would bother to *pay* for an AV
    product. Just throwing money away. One can only presume Geo is quite
    wealthy and can afford to burn money.

    Dave Doe, Jan 7, 2013

  9. Its her 6 Year old computer expert that Geo uses.

    So easily to lead older people up the path.

    But Geo does not listen to any one here so why does Geo bothers to post
    when totally stubborn and wont listen to any ones advice..

    Frank Williams, Jan 7, 2013
  10. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    I'm not wealthy, just living on the pension. But I would rather pay to have
    a usable computer than go boozing in nightclubs or visiting fancy
    restaurants. And I make my own dresses, I'm not paying ridiculous prices
    like the stuff in Canvas.(That's in the Herald).
    De gustibus non est disputandum.

    Trend micro seems all right so far. When I click anything dangerous a page
    comes up all in red saying Dangerous Page.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 7, 2013
  11. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    Come on, Geo is way higher. She asks the group if anything is questionable.
    Collective knowledge will always beat the nasty guy.

    Gordon, Jan 9, 2013
  12. Frank Williams

    Geopelia Guest

    People here are very nice, even if what I ask must seem dumb.

    Just had fun with Trend micro. For reasons only known to themselves, they
    changed my serial number. So they obviously hadn't a clue about payments etc
    made under the old one. They kept asking me to download the program I
    already had. As usual, their Help menu was useless.

    Finally a nice person who spoke English sorted it out for me.

    Not to worry, a big warning appears in red if a page is Dangerous.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 9, 2013