just discovered about:config

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Should we start by guessing what browser you are talking about?
    Oh wait, your header shows:

    Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)

    ...which is very old. I would recommend you update to the latest endeavor
    from Mozilla, which is called SeaMonkey (if you want the suite), or to
    Firefox and Thunderbird (if you want current, separate apps).

    http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/
    http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/

    Do note that these "suites" have excess baggage you probably don't use,
    and especially the Netscape versions (stuffed with AOL crap). Oh, and
    that Netscape 8.+ is just a browser (which I would not recommend).
    You may be interested in the PrefBar extension.
    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    and a picture with customize open:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/images/prefbar.png

    Notice the checkboxes for images, colors, more ...
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

    Be careful.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 7, 2006

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    mfarley Guest

    * about: shows info on Firefox's version number, copyright, etc.;

    * about:config reveals the Configuration Console, a repository
    brimming over with scores of customizable settings;

    * about:cache displays a summary of both your memory and file
    cache, with a link to full file listings;

    * about:buildconfig lists the compiler options that were used to
    create your version of Firefox (and, since it's open source, anyone can
    compile a customized version);

    * about:plugins enumerates your installed add-ons, which can be
    quite numerous since Firefox is designed to be modular and extensible;
    and

    * about:credits is an "Easter egg" that includes the names of
    hundreds of developers and testers who worked on the product.

    (Taken from http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/041202/)

    mfarley, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    gaj Guest

    For months I would get a blank screen where there was supposed to be an
    image (e.g. Google maps). Then I discovered that my about:config >
    image disable was set to "true", and by double clicking it and setting
    it to "false", I could see the map. Duh...

    I know about about:blank, but my question is, what are the possibilities
    of about:X, and where can I learn about all of them, and how do I learn
    about all the hundreds of settings in about:config, and ... well, (gosh,
    I feel like a kindergartner in the graduate school of computing) can i
    ever stop being a dummy?

    gaj, Mar 7, 2006