Just completed a repair installation of XP Home

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by brickrow, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. brickrow

    brickrow Guest

    This was the repair using the Second Option 'R' and all went well.
    This is a different motherboard, including SiS Chipset rather than Via
    and went from an Athon 1700 to a Sempron 3000($$). So I was happy.

    Then came the ever present Windows Updates that need to be caught up
    on and, you guessed it, the first two failed! The first one was the
    Validation tool. I noticed that there already was one done last summer
    but have not removed it yet, preferring to post this to see if anyone
    else had similar experiences.
    In fact, that Validation tool update is the only Update shown in A/R
    Programs.

    Looking for those with similar experiences.

    Should have done a fresh install but there was just too much to copy
    from the old system. Just cloned it first, just in case....

    Thanks
    Bob

    brickrow, Feb 12, 2008

  2. brickrow

    Pennywise Guest

    Well everybody who has done a repair install on their XP has
    experienced this...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144

    Pennywise, Feb 12, 2008

  3. brickrow

    richard Guest

    Shoot. I just did it easier. Did a system restore back to the first
    day of use.

    richard, Feb 12, 2008
  4. brickrow

    Tony Guest

    Updates are for suckers. If it matters sp3 is coming out soon so update
    nothing because in my opinion it's just plain stupid then install service
    pack 3.

    Tony, Feb 12, 2008