    ie put on the front of the camera the 1.6 reducer lens then add on
    your 'normal' photo lens....

    Would this work ????

    Advid, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Probably, but then somebody would complain that they need heavier
    telephoto lenses. I think Canon likes the idea of <35mm lenses. It can
    be a real cost saver. From a technical standpoint, there should be no
    problem eventually matching the best quality 35mm film with a somewhat
    smaller sensor.

    It's really not that big of a deal but it may feel a bit unusual at
    first to somebody who has a collection of lenses.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Advid

    DHB Guest

    Advid,
    it might be possible to add a corrective lens on the Canon Digital
    Rebel & 10D models to eliminate the 1.6x DOF crop factor but that would
    reduce image quality & you would likely loose 1/2 f stop or more light
    getting through it. More glass surfaces almost always increases the chances
    of lens flair (unwanted reflections within the lens).

    The 2nd point is that not everybody needs or uses wide angle that much,
    so for some people like me, the FOV crop factor is a plus because my 50mm
    lens now acts much like an 80mm lens. My 55-200mm now becomes a 88-320mm
    without the increase in physical size or the added expense. Strange as it
    may sound to some, if Canon offered a Digital Rebel with a full size senor &
    what it now has for the same price I would go with the smaller sensor it has
    now. Given all other factors being equal that is.

    Nice idea & maybe some after market company will someday make such a
    device but I would not be interested in it because I suspect it would simply
    enlarge the slightest problem in any lens it is used on. In time the cost
    of full size senor cameras will drop to under $1,000 USD but I for 1 hope
    that when that day comes, Canon & other manufactures will continue to offer
    quality DSLR cameras with the APS size sensor for those of us more
    interested in medium to long telephoto photography & don't want to carry
    around a larger, heavier & likely more expensive lens in order to have it.

    Just my long winded 2 cents worth.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 7, 2003