Just a snapshot of a cat shopping for dinner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger Halstead, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Roger Halstead, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Roger Halstead

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Are you sure he isn't just an avid birdwatcher? Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Although my caption reflects the situation, I think yours would be
    better and add a bit of humor. <:))

    His actions sorta reminded me of people shopping where they are
    examining (looking over) the fruit and vegetables, particularly in the
    series.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Roger Halstead

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Sometimes it pays to have your camera with you at all times.
    Once I was taking a walk through my neighborhood and I wish I
    had a camera with me. I missed a Life Magazine moment.
    Someone had left two bowls out for their dog, one with dog food
    and one with water. The dog was standing by the bowls with a
    look of confusion of it's face as a mother duck was eating the
    dog food while the baby ducklings were swimming in the water
    bowl. Priceless. If only I had my camera with me.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Some years back I was at a very large fly-in. There were aircraft of
    all types from old vintage WW-I right up through modern one as well as
    almost every kind of home built and commercial aircraft available.

    I was talking with a friend outside one building near the strip when I
    noticed something didn't look right on a plane flying quite high over
    head. I finally made out it only had one wheel down.

    The plane was a beautiful P-5. Listening on the tower frequency I
    found the pilot could not get the other gear down and was going to
    land on the runway I was near. I had a very good view of the plane
    coming around to line up with the runway. Only then did I realize
    both cameras were back inside. It would have only taken 20 to 30
    seconds to jump down from my perch, run inside and bring the cameras
    back out. I was torn with indecision, but instead of going inside I
    waited.

    The P-51 touched down on the left main and the pilot held it there as
    long as possible. The wing slowly settled onto the concrete.
    Unfortunately there was a very strong wind from the pilots left and
    the plane drifted slowly sideways. When the right wingtip hit the dirt
    the plane lifted and spun around like a Frisbee being thrown. It hit
    backwards with dirt flying. The canopy was open and the pilot dived
    over the side while the dirt was still flying.

    That P-51 came to rest about 300 feet from me and had I grabbed the
    cameras I could have had a complete series of that crash. The pilot
    was not hurt, and there actually wasn't a lot of visible damage to the
    plane. OTHO at $90,000 US to replace the prop and at least $100,000 to
    rebuild the engine, PLUS any metal work it was a pretty expensive
    landing. One I could have had on film, but only watched.

    Roger Halstead, Aug 22, 2004
  6. Roger Halstead

    Kimberlee Guest

    Ken,
    Never underestimate the power of memories.
    Yeah; okay, so Life Magazine won't buy your photographic memory...but it
    sounds like you've got a memory of a very cool moment~

    Kimberlee, Aug 22, 2004
  7. Roger Halstead

    Ken Scharf Guest

    A great story!
    Well when the first space shuttle (Challenger) landed at Cape Kennedy
    (the FIRST time ANY shuttle had done so) A friend of mine had managed
    to get a few press passes for the event. I was only a few hundred
    feet from the runway with my Nikon FE and 70-210mm lens on hand (on a
    tripod). I managed to get at least 3 good shots of it as it landed,
    in one photo I caught the shuttle, a chase plane, and NASA 'copter.
    (I didn't yet have the autowinder, rats!)

    A few years later, those photos (blew 'em up to 11x14) would have a
    bit more meaning to me when the Challenger was lost.

    BTW I rarely use the Nikon 35mm stuff anymore, too heavy to lug
    around the camera and assortment of lenses. I should ebay them
    or sell to a dealer now that I have my C5050.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 22, 2004