  1. Is there a way to automatically delete spam that is coming in on all the
    newsgroups? Failing that, can I set up a filter to trash anything from
    hotmail.com ?

    William W. Plummer, Dec 31, 2004

  2. William W. Plummer

    Jim Scott Guest

    Not an answer to your problem, but what is spam on newsgroup?
    Is someone trying to sell something or is it porn or what?
    Does it only occur on binary groups?
    I only ask as I have never experienced anything I would regard as spam
    on Usenet.
    Not that I want to !

    Jim Scott, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Since newsgroup posts are stored on the server, you cannot delete them.
    You can set up a filter to mark them as read, then use the View options
    to see only unread posts.

    Note that there are quite a few people using hotmail addresses for
    legitimate purposes. I have been very tempted to filter out all hotmail
    and yahoo addresses for spam, but there are to many legitimate mails I
    would be losing.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 31, 2004
  4. William W. Plummer

    Travis Evans Guest

    I see it all the time. There's even plenty spam on *this* newsgroup, if
    you look carefully. ;-)

    --
    Travis

    [My email address listed is valid, but may change from time to time to
    reduce spam. When emailing me, please check one of my recent Usenet
    messages to make sure you are using the current address; otherwise, I
    may not receive your message.]

    Travis Evans, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Many ISPs, such as mine, filter out the spam on newsgroups. Usually the
    only time I see spam messages on a newsgroup is when someone is stupid
    and replies to it; as if someone is reading their response to the spam.

    ::..BRIAN..::, Jan 1, 2005
  6. I think you might be better off selecting "ignore thread" for the filter
    instead of marking it read. Just an idea. I have not tried doing this,
    since my ISP filters these messages for me.

    ::..BRIAN..::, Jan 1, 2005
  7. William W. Plummer

    . Guest

    What are you using as your newsgroup reader?

    ., Jan 1, 2005
  8. Mozilla

    William W. Plummer, Jan 1, 2005
  9. That works within one newsgroup, but the same message appears in all
    news groups that I read.

    William W. Plummer, Jan 1, 2005
  10. You need to take in a broader range of newsgroups. Spam is epidemic.
    Many groups have been virtually shut down because the level of spam
    reached 95% and the users could no longer dig through it to find real
    posts. Most is porn related but it's not exclusive. There are illegal
    get-rich-quick schemes and all manner of material being offered for
    sale. My theory is that there are approximately 25 spammers on the
    planet earth and they each post between five and six billion messages to
    usenet every day.

    Captain Jinks, Jan 1, 2005
  11. My newsreader makes provision so that if one of my filters catches a
    message it gets treated the same way in all cross-posted groups. Just
    the fact that messages are cross-posted is often a clue that it's spam.

    Captain Jinks, Jan 1, 2005
  12. William W. Plummer

    Travis Evans Guest

    Our ISP must not filter spam out of the newsgroups then. :) Which ISP
    are you using?

    Travis Evans, Jan 3, 2005
  13. Cox Communications [http://www.cox.net]

    ::..BRIAN..::, Jan 3, 2005
  14. William W. Plummer

    Travis Evans Guest

    D'oh! That's what we used to use... but broadband got too expensive.

    Travis Evans, Jan 12, 2005