Jump drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ///Owen\\\\\\, May 21, 2005.

  1. I bought a new jump drive (Lexar) and plugged it my work computer - great.
    But, when I plug it in my home computer (win XP sp2) I either get a message,
    "problem installing your hardware" or nothing.

    I have two printers on USB ports and also a Sandisk card reader which all
    work fine. So where should I look?

    In control panel/system/hardware/device manager/USB controllers there are
    the following

    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Printing Support
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    One trouble is that I haven't the foggiest idea what these are and how they
    relate to each other.

    help................... thanks John

    ///Owen\\\\\\, May 21, 2005

  2. ///Owen\\\\\\

    jerryg50 Guest

    There may be some type of IRQ conflict with the device when using the
    USB port that you are on. The source of how these things happen can be
    fairly compex. It is also possible the there may be a software in the
    computer that is causing some conflict as well.

    One way around this is to try other USB ports on the computer.
    Sometimes putting in an active USB hub between the device, and the USB
    port will also fix the problem, because it will act as a buffer. When
    applying this type of approach, different ports may also have to be
    tried.

    I have had this happen to me before, and the USB hub approach fixed the
    problem. If not, the next step is to start changing around how the IRQ
    sharing is occuring. This can become much more complicated to deal
    with.

    Jerry G.
    ======

    jerryg50, May 21, 2005

    Mike Leach Guest

    XP assigns a drive letter to the USB jump drive. Sometimes it assigns a
    drive letter that is already assigned. Right click on My Computer/select
    manage/go to storage devices/select disk managemnet. You should find all
    storage drives and the drive letter assigned. If your jump drive has a
    already assigned drive letter, then reassign the drive letter for it.

    Mike Leach, May 22, 2005