  1. "Show me the code you contend IBM stole. NOTHING happens until you do that."

    http://www.groklaw.net/

    Watch SCO turn belly-up. :)

    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Gary G. Taylor

    Greg M Guest

    Thanks for the heads-up Spanky. <g>

    Greg M, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Gary G. Taylor

    why? Guest

    These are quite funny as well,

    We reveal major UNIXâ„¢ IP violations Exclusive And it's SCO
    This week The SCO Group hinted that BSD distributions would be next
    under the Utah microscope...

    <snip>

    ..... So after a little digging, we traced this serious UNIXâ„¢ violation
    to a hacker outfit called "Caldera Inc." The email was datelined 23 Jan
    2002.

    http://theinquirer.net/?article=12836
    By Egan Orion: Tuesday 25 November 2003, 07:24
    SCO's legal claims skewered again
    Without fear or research

    In Las Vegas Mr. McBride offered two examples of code from the Linux
    program that were supposedly copied from Sys V. The first implements the
    "Berkeley Packet Filter" (BPF) firewall. Indeed, the Linux kernel
    program contains a BPF implementation, but it is the original work of
    Linux developer Jay Schulist. Nor did SCO ever hold an ownership
    interest in the original BPF implementation, which as the very name
    shows was originally part of BSD Unix, and which was copied, perfectly
    legally, into SCO's Sys V Unix from BSD

    Mr. McBride's second example was only slightly less unconvincing. Mr
    McBride showed several dozen lines of memory allocation code from
    "Linux," which was identical to code from Sys V. Once again, however, it

    <snip>

    the slides was first incorporated in Unix Version 3, and was written in
    1973; it descends from an earlier version published by Donald Knuth in
    his classic The Art of Computer Programming in 1968. AT&T claimed this
    code, among other portions of its Unix OS, as infringed by the
    University of California in the BSD litigation, and was denied a
    preliminary injunction on the ground that it could not show a likelihood
    of success on its copyright claim, because it had published the code
    without copyright notices and therefore, under pre-1976 US copyright
    law, had put the code in the public domain. In 2002, SCO's predecessor
    Caldera released this code again under a license that permitted free
    copying and redistribution.

    Thus SCO's second example was of supposedly impermissible copying of
    code that was in the public domain to begin with, and which SCO itself
    had released under a free software license after erroneously claiming
    copyright. SGI had complicated matters by improperly removing the
    inaccurate copyright notice.

    (To be fair I should also not forget SCO has thier views as well,
    SCO releases new open letter on GPL
    Tesla is spinning in his grave
    By INQUIRER staff: Thursday 04 December 2003, 22:47
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=13049)

    Me

    why?, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Gary G. Taylor Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    Woo-Hoo!!!

    <Happy dance>

    (Thanks)

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003
  5. It was on Sat, 06 Dec 2003 08:46:01 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    Yup!

    "The sooner, the better!"

    William Poaster, Dec 6, 2003
  6. It was on Sat, 06 Dec 2003 08:03:33 -0500, just as I was halfway through a
    It's been mooted, in some circles, that M$ was behind SCO's
    attempt at this. I suppose they'd deny it, though....
    Also, in a recent speech by Ballmer, he compared vulnerabilities
    of Windows Server 2003 (4 he claims) to RedHat 6, which he
    claims were 5 to 10 times higher. Err...well 'scuse me Mr. Ballmer,
    but RedHat 6 is a product from 1999...so you may as well
    compare Windows Server 2003 with your own Windows 98SE. If you want to
    compare things, compare like with like. How come you didn't pick a linux
    distro from 2003 & compare vulnerabilities?

    William Poaster, Dec 6, 2003
  7. William Poaster Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    "There are three kinds of lies. Lies Damn lies and statistics" -
    Samuel Clemens, I think.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 6, 2003