    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Richard Crowley wrote :
    I am well aware of Godwin's Law - and it wasn't I who brought up the
    Nazis, anyway!

    Paul Hyett, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Citizen Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Tue, 7 Nov 2006, jayembee wrote :
    Godwin's Law is a double-edged sword though.

    IMO it is *not* a breach of it to mention the Nazis when someone
    displays or advocates blind obedience to laws, regardless of the
    consequences, as 'PTravel' does.

    Paul Hyett, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Citizen Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Mon, 6 Nov 2006, jayembee wrote :
    No, because the OJ trial was not a test case. Those are the ones that
    set legal precedents.

    Another possibility for that is where a long-standing precedent is
    overturned because it is it has become irrelevant to modern society.

    Paul Hyett, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    Yes.

    The jury of one's peers is taken as representative of community
    standards. There is no better way than a jury to determine what the
    community consents to.

    Would you rather the godless collectivist state determines community
    standards?

    --

    "First and last, it's a question of money. Those men who own the earth
    make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  5. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    It is not binding under the specific circumstances of the case being
    tried.
    You can't really be that stupid.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  6. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    That is correct. A hung jury cannot convict a defendant. It takes a
    unanimous jury to convict.
    Only for that specific case.
    That is correct for all other possible cases.
    You cannot go from a particular trial to a generalization like that.

    I said the law is not binding under the particular circumstances in
    which a jury does not return a conviction.

    Of course the state can re-try the case and if it succeeds in getting
    a conviction, then the previous trial is not meaningful.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    It is a criminal statute.
    In most states, civil convictions require a unanimous jury verdict. I
    believe Oregon is the sole exception. But who would want to live in
    Oregon? Not I.
    You are correct. The criterion for conviction in civil cases is "the
    preponderance of the evidence". That does not preclude nullification.
    The OJ trial is a straw man.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  8. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    You cannot support that claim with rational statements.

    I am not bigoted and prejudiced. Fair Use prevails and that is
    commonly accepted.

    Tell us why it is not.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  9. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    You are the idiot.

    You don't even know true history.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  10. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    Snipping a comment is very disengenuous.

    FOAD, leftist queer sockpuppet.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  11. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    She did not lie.
    No one asked her about her prior involvement in drug advocacy.
    That is true.
    There is no doubt that Kriho engaged in nullification. She told the
    jury that she was nullifying. One of the jurors ratted on her, and the
    court levied a contempt citation. The appeals trial exonerated her
    because it is illegal to use comments from the jury room.
    It was intentional on Kriho's part because of her involvement in drug
    advocacy.
    Kriho did not break the law just because she did not volunteer
    information about her involvement in drug advocacy.

    Here's an analogy. You are a potential juror in a death penalty case.
    You are opposed to the death penalty. But you do not volunteer that
    information and no one asks you (highly unlikely but let's assume that
    no one asks you). Is contempt justified when you hang the jury -
    assume the defendant is guilty beyond any reasonable doubt.

    Does it serve justice according to community standards if you are
    stricken from the jury when you are asked if you oppose the death
    penalty and you answer in the affirmative?

    As Paul Hyett asks, why even have a jury trial if potential jurors are
    weeded out in order to secure the outcome the state wants?

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  12. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    But the precedent of forcing a prospective jury to volunteer anything
    and everything that could later be construed as prejudicial to the
    state's case is still on the books.
    How?

    Impeach rogue judges.
    Damn Straight!

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  13. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    Britain has "majority verdicts" where it only takes 10 jurors to
    convict. Therefore the system can afford a couple of people who
    nullify.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  14. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    You people have never heard of Citizen Bob's Law.

    Citizen Bob's Law: Whenever someone mentions Nazis or Hitler, someone
    else inevitably mentions Godwin's Law.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  15. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    The Fugitive Slave Act made it "illegal" to aid an escaped slave.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  16. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    And you are also well aware of Citizen Bob's Law.

    Citizen Bob, Nov 7, 2006
  17. Citizen Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Citizen Bob wrote :
    But you've been telling me how much US juries are rigged to omit anyone
    with a decent IQ. If that's true, then they can't be that reliable a way
    of determining 'consent of the governed'.Regards,

    Paul Hyett, Nov 7, 2006
  18. Citizen Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Citizen Bob wrote :
    How many would that leave, though...?
    Which was all we were asked.

    Regards,

    Paul Hyett, Nov 7, 2006
  19. Citizen Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech on Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Citizen Bob wrote :
    Why was that law even passed, when the North was supposed to be
    anti-slavery?

    Paul Hyett, Nov 7, 2006
  20. Citizen Bob

    Paul Hyett Guest