jpeg tiles and/or thumbnails

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by URAQT2, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Since installing Mozilla Firefox, which for the most part I really
    like, I have a problem with the appearance of tiles and thumbnails of
    jpeg files stored on my DVD-RAM disk.

    They used to show a view of what the picture or drawing is. Now,
    however the tile or thumbnail has the Firefox icon on each file.

    I have changed in tools/folder options/file types I have tried
    changing the preference to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and I have
    tried changing it to Paint. After changing it to Paint and opening one
    of the files all of the other thumbnails will slowly change so I can
    see what they are.

    However, once I close the file folder when I open it again all of the
    file thumbnails or tiles show only the Firefox icon.

    I am very pleased with Firefox 1.0.3 except that it made this icon the
    default on all of the jpeg files.

    Have any of you run into this problem and solved it?

    Thank you for all of your help.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    +---------------+
    | PLEASE |
    | DO NOT |
    | FEED THE |
    | TROLLS |
    +---------------+
    | |
    | |
    .\|...||/..

    URAQT2, Apr 22, 2005

  2. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Should have mentioned my computer is a P4 running WinXP Home Edition.
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    -------------------------------
    For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few brave men and
    women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant
    religious mass on the other. This is the war between Science and
    Faith. The few have appealed to reason, to honor, to law, to freedom,
    to the known, and to happiness here in this world. The many have
    appealed to prejudice, to fear, to miracle, to slavery, to the
    unknown, and to misery hereafter. The few have said "Think" The many
    have said "Believe!"-Robert Ingersoll, (Gods)

    Without freedom of religion and from religion there is no democracy.
    No country can exist as both a theocracy and a democracy.

    +---------------+
    | PLEASE |
    | DO NOT |
    | FEED THE |
    | TROLLS |
    +---------------+
    | |
    | |
    .\|...||/..

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2005

  3. URAQT2

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Since installing Mozilla Firefox, which for the most part I really
    |>like, I have a problem with the appearance of tiles and thumbnails of
    |>jpeg files stored on my DVD-RAM disk.
    |>
    |>They used to show a view of what the picture or drawing is. Now,
    |>however the tile or thumbnail has the Firefox icon on each file.
    |>
    |>I have changed in tools/folder options/file types I have tried
    |>changing the preference to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and I have
    |>tried changing it to Paint. After changing it to Paint and opening one
    |>of the files all of the other thumbnails will slowly change so I can
    |>see what they are.
    |>
    |>However, once I close the file folder when I open it again all of the
    |>file thumbnails or tiles show only the Firefox icon.

    One more option is to hold down the shift key, right click on a pix,
    the select "Open with" be sure to click on always open with this
    program.

    Pennywise, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Try this: in the Folder, click on Tools, Folder Options, then click on File
    Types. Make sure your file associations for the JPEG images are set
    correctly.

    Do you have the same problem with JPEG files stored on your computer or just
    your DVD-RAM disk?

    Atlas Shrugged, Apr 23, 2005
  5. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Done that a number of times.
    Sorry to be so ignorant, but what does that mean? I don't see anything
    in the menu relating to file associations.
    Those that are stored in Documents on the C drive show with the
    Firefox icon, but change within one to two seconds to Paint so what is
    in them is visible.

    URAQT2, Apr 23, 2005
  6. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    -------------------------------

    URAQT2, Apr 24, 2005
  7. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Yes, I know I am reposting this again, but the two suggestions I
    received have not helped. Please?

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    -------------------------------

    URAQT2, Apr 25, 2005
  8. "Yes, I know I am reposting this again, but the two suggestions I
    received have not helped. Please? "

    You mean you couldn't figure out what their suggestions meant, so they
    could help.

    Right click on the file that is being difficult. There is a menu. On
    that menu, at the bottom, it says properties. Pick that.
    Now on the "General" tab, it says
    _______________________________________
    Type of file: JPEG Image

    Opens with: ? [ Change... ]
    _______________________________________

    Click on [Change...], and choose paint or windows viewer or whatever
    you want.

    Then right click on the white space in the folder where the file is
    located. A menu pops up. On the top it says "View". Highlight that.
    Make sure "thumbnails" is selcted.

    HTH

    Will Dearborn, Apr 26, 2005
  9. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    I knew exactly what the suggestions meant and had already done those
    things a number of times.
    That would be hundreds of files.
    I have done all of those things at least 25 times. (No exaggeration.)

    It works so long as the folder is open.
    However, as soon as I close the folder it reverts back to the way it
    was. I have even gone through the procedure, closed the folder, closed
    the drive, restarted the computer and when I reopened the folder I was
    right back where I had started from.

    URAQT2, Apr 26, 2005
  10. URAQT2

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Will Dearborn wrote:
    |>
    |>> "Yes, I know I am reposting this again, but the two suggestions I
    |>> received have not helped. Please? "
    |>>
    |>> You mean you couldn't figure out what their suggestions meant, so they
    |>> could help.
    |>
    |>I knew exactly what the suggestions meant and had already done those
    |>things a number of times.
    |>

    |>> Right click on the file that is being difficult.
    |>
    |>That would be hundreds of files.
    |>
    |>> There is a menu. On
    |>> that menu, at the bottom, it says properties. Pick that.
    |>> Now on the "General" tab, it says
    |>> _______________________________________
    |>> Type of file: JPEG Image
    |>>
    |>> Opens with: ? [ Change... ]
    |>> _______________________________________
    |>>
    |>> Click on [Change...], and choose paint or windows viewer or whatever
    |>> you want.
    |>>
    |>> Then right click on the white space in the folder where the file is
    |>> located. A menu pops up. On the top it says "View". Highlight that.
    |>> Make sure "thumbnails" is selcted.
    |>>
    |>> HTH
    |>>

    |>I have done all of those things at least 25 times. (No exaggeration.)
    |>
    |>It works so long as the folder is open.
    |>However, as soon as I close the folder it reverts back to the way it
    |>was. I have even gone through the procedure, closed the folder, closed
    |>the drive, restarted the computer and when I reopened the folder I was
    |>right back where I had started from.

    Then you should take drastic action, run your registry editor
    (regedit, regedt32), and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. This area controls
    what loads according to a files extension.

    Go to .Jpg and see what it says, edit it if you want or just delete
    the key (jpg directory). Then do what has been suggested before, it
    will recreate itself.

    Just in case highlight the jpg "directory" then go up to the menu and
    export that key, if something goes wrong you just click on that file
    to reinstall the settings to what they were.

    Pennywise, Apr 26, 2005
  11. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Thanks Pennywise.

    It is too late and I am too tired to do that this evening, but I have
    filed it and will do so when I can.

    Does the fact that this is happening on my DVD-RAM disk change anything?

    I always know I will find the answer here if I just hang in there long
    enough. After having owned home computers for almost thirty years and
    having installed many components, etc. I still find there is so much
    that I do not know.

    URAQT2, Apr 26, 2005
  12. URAQT2

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> Then you should take drastic action, run your registry editor
    |>> (regedit, regedt32), and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. This area controls
    |>> what loads according to a files extension.
    |>>
    |>> Go to .Jpg and see what it says, edit it if you want or just delete
    |>> the key (jpg directory). Then do what has been suggested before, it
    |>> will recreate itself.
    |>>
    |>> Just in case highlight the jpg "directory" then go up to the menu and
    |>> export that key, if something goes wrong you just click on that file
    |>> to reinstall the settings to what they were.

    |>It is too late and I am too tired to do that this evening, but I have
    |>filed it and will do so when I can.

    |>Does the fact that this is happening on my DVD-RAM disk change anything?

    It's device dependant? Don't change anything and press the SHIFT key
    next time you insert a CD/DVD and see what happens, if it works as you
    expect then turn off autorun.
    http://www.phdcc.com/shellrun/autorun.htm

    |>I always know I will find the answer here if I just hang in there long
    |>enough.

    hasn't happen'd yet.

    |>After having owned home computers for almost thirty years and
    |>having installed many components, etc. I still find there is so much
    |>that I do not know.

    30 years what did you start with? An Altair?

    Pennywise, Apr 26, 2005
  13. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Oops! Make that 20 years. I told you I am tired. Waiting for my wife
    to get home from work.

    My first computer was a Radio Shack Color Computer 1 with a 12" TV as
    a monitor and a cassette recorder as a drive.

    URAQT2, Apr 26, 2005
  14. URAQT2

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Try this. Cut and paste everything between these lines into notepad and save
    it as
    thumbs.reg. Then double-click on the file you just saved to install it.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.art\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.art\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dib\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dib\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jfif\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jfif\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpe\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpe\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tiff\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tiff\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmf\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmf\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cdr\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cdr\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cgm\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cgm\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dfx\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dfx\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.drw\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.drw\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.emf\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.emf\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eps\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eps\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pcd\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pcd\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pct\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pct\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pcx\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pcx\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tga\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tga\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wpg\ShellEx]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Shell.ThumbnailExtract.Office.1\CLSID]
    @="{1AEB1360-5AFC-11d0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1AEB1360-5AFC-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}]
    @="Office Graphics Filters Thumbnail Extractor"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1AEB1360-5AFC-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\THUMBVW.DLL"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1AEB1360-5AFC-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}\ProgID]
    @="Shell.ThumbnailExtract.Office.1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1AEB1360-5AFC-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}\VersionIndependentProgID]
    @="Shell.ThumbnailExtract.Office.1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell
    Extensions]
    @=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell
    Extensions\Approved]
    @=""

    pcbutts1, Apr 26, 2005
  15. URAQT2

    URAQT2 Guest

    Did it.
    So far as I can tell so far there is no difference.
    I opened the file folder on the DVD-RAM about ten minutes ago. As I
    write this it is slowly changing the view of the thumbnails to the
    actual pictures, but it has always done that if I waited long enough.
    Then it reverts back once I close it.

    Anyone know why the Firefox icon replaced the view of the actual
    pictures when I installed Firefox?
    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-