JPEG recompression in PDFs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Quest Knight, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Quest Knight

    Quest Knight Guest

    I have a very small jpeg compressed with custom optimization.
    It's the only image in the test file. If I output the test file with
    InDesign's built in PDF export, I get a
    file that is 2,119KB because the export tries to recompress the file with no
    compression. If I export
    with no graphic in the file at all it makes a 42KB file. I don't want to use
    more compression via their
    exporter. I just want my version of the jpeg inserted into the pdf
    unaltered. I have tried several shareware
    export applications and gotten different results. PDF Factory created a
    680kb file. Cute made a 540kb file.
    Win2PDF made a 687kb file. eXPert PDF made a 673kb file, and when I removed
    the graphic completely
    it made a 5kb file. Making a text document with SCP PDF writer and then
    inserting the graphic
    resulted in a 38kb file, showing that it is actually possible to simply
    insert a JPEG into a PDF without
    the export trying to recompress it, but I can't find a way to export from
    InDesign without that happening.

    Quest Knight, Apr 22, 2004