"John R" info : upgrade path MCSE 2000 > 2003 : 290/91 instead of

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Dimi, May 5, 2008.

  1. Dimi

    Dimi Guest

    Hi there,

    As a modest Star Wars freak, I might open with the following phrase: "I
    think I'm in a heap of Boontah pooh"...

    That being said and on a more serious note : I've earned my MCSE 2000
    certification a long while ago. As I never had the time nor the real "need"
    to upgrade this to MCSE 2003, I never bothered to be honest. But now, a dream
    opportunity arose which requires the certificate (I already passed the
    technical interviews but they require that slip of paper).

    As both 292 and 296 are almost cancelled (last date : 24th of May 2008) and
    I don't have the time to do them this month, I read several posts by a user
    with the handle "John R" who states that 290 and 291 count towards the 292...
    And the 293 and 294 count towards the 296.

    If that's indeed true, it will a great relief. But alas, I've phoned to
    several test centra over here and they couldn't confirm... Even a call to
    Microsoft or browsing their official learning/certifications tracks, doesn't
    confirm this info.

    So can anybody out there confirm this?

    cheers and thanks!
    /dimi

    Dimi, May 5, 2008

  2. Dimi

    PAJ Guest

    The upgrade path by taking the two transition exams expires. End of.

    70-290, 70-291, 70-293 & 70-294 are all core MCSE networking exams and
    ALL are required.

    If you earned your MCSE 2000 directly (not via upgrade from NT4) you
    will not need to take any further exams.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

    Easiest way to check what you need would be to login and look at your
    Certification Planner.

    https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/CertificationsInProgress.aspx

    PAJ, May 5, 2008

  3. Dimi

    Dimi Guest

    "PAJ", thanks for the reply!

    So, if I understood your reply correctly :
    as I earned my MCSE NT4 directly and done the upgrade exams for 2000,
    there's no way I can upgrade to 2003 anymore? Not even by taking
    70-290+70-291 (instead of 292) and 70-293+70-294 (instead of 296) ?

    /dimi

    Dimi, May 5, 2008
  4. Dimi

    PAJ Guest

    I am not sure on this.
    I cannot find anything to say this method is not viable but...
    Have you take OS exam 70-210 or newer?
    What does your planner say?

    PAJ, May 5, 2008
  5. Dimi

    Dimi Guest

    Not sure anymore if I took the 70-210, it's been a looooooong time ago
    unfortunately (more than 6 years ago)...
    Also, I've just tried to go to the website but I can't spot the planner :(

    But no worries, I will try and do the 292 on the 19th... And if I succeed, I
    will do the 296 on the Friday that follows... Keeping my fingers crossed :)
    (just done a quick 15 question test with Ucertify and I passed with 760 I
    think... That's just with my current knowledge so I think that I will just
    read the official Microsoft book this week [15 chapters with theory / should
    be do-able] and buy the full Ucertify packages for both exams... Hoping that
    will be enough...)

    /dimi

    Dimi, May 5, 2008
  6. Dimi

    PAJ Guest

    You need to login to the MCP site:

    https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/default.aspx

    Then select:
    View My... (from the menu)
    and then:
    Certification Planner (from the drop-down list).

    I am sure someone will be along soon that can give you an absolute
    answer.

    PAJ, May 5, 2008
  7. Dimi

    John R Guest

    You can do this. Your certification planner will bare that out.

    From the following link...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

    If you have an MCSE on Microsoft Windows 2000 Server credential, note the
    following about your exam requirements:
    . Networking: You have the option of taking only Exams 70-292 and
    70-296 instead of all four core networking exams.

    . Client: Since you have already passed Exam 70-210 or 70-270, the
    client requirement for an MCSE on Windows Server 2003 certification has been
    met-you do not have to take a client exam.

    . Design: The design skills required of an MCSE on Windows Server 2003
    do not differ significantly from those required of an MCSE on Microsoft
    Windows 2000 Server. Thus, you do not have to take a design exam.

    . Elective: Your current MCSE credential satisfies the elective
    requirement for Windows Server 2003 because it proves your ability to
    support another version of the platform. You do not have to take an elective
    exam.

    The only question is your client. If you did not take 70-210 or
    70-270 (or now 70-620), you'll have to fulfill that as well.

    John R

    John R, May 5, 2008
  8. Dimi

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Kline Sphere, May 5, 2008
  9. Dimi

    PAJ Guest

    Cracked chalk. That's the name of my textured ceiling.

    PAJ, May 5, 2008
  10. Dimi

    OTHMAN Guest

    check this one out