    http://forums.techguy.org/security/526023-i-opened-program-virus.html

    I think I'm ok since my AV found and deleted ntos.exe and jobseekertool.exe

    but...

    Muse Gruppes, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    Just a few minutes ago the real time scanner got : A0034496.exe several
    times :(
    I'm running adaware right now and will do a virus scan afterwards. I think
    this might be a good time to CLEAN out the system. After all I'm thinking of
    going to Win2000 Professional...

    If I decide to go that route, How do I install 2000 if I have XP installed
    allready?

    -C

    Muse Gruppes, Jan 12, 2007

  3. You will have to reformat the drive. You can't "update/repair" with an
    earlier version of Windows.

    Ahem. The rules of Safe Hex say you always scan anything you download
    before executing it.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 12, 2007
  4. If you have another pc with a good virus scanner, attach your harddrive to
    that one and scan it from there. Or use a liveCD (latest hirens root&boot,
    or knoppicillin with internet updates).
    At least, get the free kaspersky version at www.activevirusshield.com (do
    not let it install the "aol security toolbar"), update it and then scan in
    safe mode.
    Get spyware s&d as well, or/and another one. Update and scan.
    Remember to keep the xp firewall on, or use a NAT router.
    You cannot install it on the same partition unless you wipe that one
    first, "downgrades" are not supported.
    Most probably, for home use, XP is the better choice for halfways recent pc
    hardware. You may get into trouble finding all the drivers for recent
    mainboards, sata chips and so on, for win2k. It doesn't have a "firewall"
    or other protection as you install it, and will catch any malware as soon
    as you connect to the internet, when not behind a nat router or firewall.
    If you want to go a different, safe route, try out linux. A recent linux
    distribution includes openoffice, a configurable iptables firewall, lots of
    useful programs, browsers and more. It will recognize recent mainboards and
    standard hardware as well, without your hunting for drivers. And your pc
    will not catch a cold the first time on the net :)

    Walter Mautner, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    How is it that malware can install minutes (or seconds?) after connecting by
    high speed? Are there programs out there constantly scanning unprotected
    IPs/Computers and by automation they slip in and it's all over?

    Muse Gruppes, Jan 12, 2007
  6. Muse Gruppes

    Mara Guest

    Yep.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_worm

    Mara, Jan 12, 2007
  7. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    Muse Gruppes, Jan 13, 2007
  8. Yeah. Especially with windows default installs (user has admin rights, "ms
    network client" installed and bound to network interface, lotta
    other "services" open to the world). There are maybe hundreds or thousands
    of already infected boxen on your hi-speed network, constantly scanning
    known ports for new victims.

    Walter Mautner, Jan 13, 2007