    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > How can I tell the connection speed? (without downloading something)
    > It says 100mb on the wee connection icon in the tray, but never changes....

    100mb... you have a router I assume?

    the 100mb connection is from you to the router.
    DSL tops out at 8mbit, but Telecom limit it at the DSLAM(exchange) to
    what ever plan you are on.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Southern Kiwi

    ChrisOD Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > How can I tell the connection speed? (without downloading something)
    > It says 100mb on the wee connection icon in the tray, but never changes....

    connect to your router and it should have some way of showing you the
    DSL stats

    ChrisOD, Jul 21, 2004
  4. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >
    > > How can I tell the connection speed? (without downloading something)
    > > It says 100mb on the wee connection icon in the tray, but never

    changes....

    > 100mb... you have a router I assume?

    Your assumption is correct

    > the 100mb connection is from you to the router.
    > DSL tops out at 8mbit, but Telecom limit it at the DSLAM(exchange) to
    > what ever plan you are on.

    Ta for that

    Southern Kiwi, Jul 21, 2004
  5. I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb? If so,
    the following webpage works well for me...

    www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed

    Then, click 500k download test.

    Jed Meisterdude, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Southern Kiwi

    John B Guest

    Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    > I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb?
    > If so, the following webpage works well for me...
    >
    > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed
    >
    > Then, click 500k download test.

    I'm on 256 plan. Test showed 33.7 kilobytes d/load. How's that rate?

    --
    John B

    John B, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Southern Kiwi

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message
    > Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    > > I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb?
    > > If so, the following webpage works well for me...
    > >
    > > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed
    > >
    > > Then, click 500k download test.

    > I'm on 256 plan. Test showed 33.7 kilobytes d/load. How's that rate?
    >
    > --
    > John B

    Seems about right. Theoretically on a 256 plan you should be getting in the
    32-36 range IIRC.

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Jul 21, 2004
  8. John B wrote:
    > I'm on 256 plan. Test showed 33.7 kilobytes d/load. How's that rate?

    thats close enough to 256k.

    128 gives ~16.x

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2004
  9. Southern Kiwi

    JedMeister Guest

    You are on a 256 kilobits per second rateplan.

    The speed test gave you 33.7 kilobytes per second.

    Multiply 33.7 by 8 (convert from bytes to bits) to give 269 kilobits per
    second - your connection is running very well based on your plan.

    JedMeister, Jul 21, 2004
  10. Southern Kiwi

    news@11:00 Guest

    "Jed Meisterdude" <> wrote in message
    > I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb? If

    so,
    > the following webpage works well for me...
    >
    > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed
    >
    > Then, click 500k download test.

    Too big for impoverished Xtra Jetstream users ...LOL

    How about this test, only 38kb :)

    http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/

    news@11:00, Jul 22, 2004
  11. "news@11:00" <> wrote in message

    > "Jed Meisterdude" <> wrote in message
    > > I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb? If

    > so,
    > > the following webpage works well for me...
    > >
    > > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed
    > >
    > > Then, click 500k download test.
    > >

    > Too big for impoverished Xtra Jetstream users ...LOL

    errrr? more out of consideration to the person paying the bill ;-)

    Southern Kiwi, Jul 22, 2004
  12. "Jed Meisterdude" <> wrote in message
    > I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb? If

    so,
    > the following webpage works well for me...
    > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed
    > Then, click 500k download test.

    Thanks for that

    134.6 kbs

    Feels soooo quick after 38.6k on modem :)

    Southern Kiwi, Jul 22, 2004
  13. "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Jed Meisterdude" <> wrote in message
    > > I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb? If

    > so,> > the following webpage works well for me...
    > > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed
    > > Then, click 500k download test.

    > Thanks for that
    > 134.6 kbs
    > Feels soooo quick after 38.6k on modem :)

    ooops!, make that 3.6kbs actual download speed

    Southern Kiwi, Jul 22, 2004
  14. Southern Kiwi

    JB Guest

    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Jed Meisterdude" <> wrote in message
    > > > I find the best way is to download something - can you stomach 500kb?

    If
    > > so,> > the following webpage works well for me...
    > > > www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed
    > > > Then, click 500k download test.

    > > Thanks for that
    > > 134.6 kbs
    > > Feels soooo quick after 38.6k on modem :)
    > >

    > ooops!, make that 3.6kbs actual download speed

    How about this - Tested my 2 Mb Paradise Cable connection in Christchurch

    www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed Gave me.....

    Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:
    Download time: 2.053 seconds
    Size of file: 500 Kilobytes
    Estimated line speed: 1987.3 (kilobits/second)
    Estimated line speed: 243.5 (kilobytes/second)

    http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ gave me.....

    Your Internet Connection Speed is:
    251.1 kb/s
    2048.8 kbps