Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4 released

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Carlos

    Jane C Guest

    Carlos,

    I think the answer to when we will ever see x64 addins is the same as that
    to the question "how long is a piece of string?" ;-)

    Thanks for the head's-up :)

    Jane C, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Jane,
    I guess you are right about the x64 version.
    Don't forget to uninstall previous Java installation first.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Rom Guest

    An observation - uninstalled JRE 6 Update 3 before installing JRE 6
    Update 4, and after the install there's now no Java showing in the
    32-bit Control Panel Items. It didn't used to work from there anyway,
    whereas "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\javacpl.exe" run
    as admin does.

    Rom, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Carlos

    Allan Guest

    I had a problem on a Dell 32-bit laptop where previously since Sept. 2006
    (when it was new) the Control Panel applet would show up and work only in
    Limited User accounts and not in Admin accounts (where it would only show up
    in the Control Panel). After I installed update 3 it started working in both
    types of accounts. So you might check if you have a Limited User account
    whether it shows up or not. You may have to wait until the next update. Have
    you also tried turning off the firewall while trying to run the applet?
    Thanks to Carlos for the timely notification.

    Allan, Jan 21, 2008
  6. Carlos

    Rom Guest

    Now that the next update is available, I see the missing Java Control
    Panel is mentioned in "Changes in 1.6.0_05" under "Known Issue on
    64-bit Windows Vista":
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/ReleaseNotes.html#160_05>

    Rom, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Carlos