    bought a card reader, which is where the problem started...)

    Has anyone experienced similar, and what did you do about it?

    Dom

    Dominic, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Dominic

    -Gene- Guest

    That sounds serious Dom,
    Look into the CF camera socket with a magnifying glass and
    suitable lighting, and inspect the pins. If some are bent you are
    in serious trouble. Straightening them without damage is very
    unlikely. Gene

    -Gene-, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Dominic

    Mister Max Guest

    Gene, I agree with your diagnosis, but not with your treatment. With the
    right tool Dominic should be able to straighten a bent pin. I have used
    a broken scraper that I scrounged from my dental hygienist. A very
    narrow screwdriver would also work. I admit, though, that I've only
    straightened the pins on two card readers, not on a camera.
    - Max

    --
    MisterMax
    Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,

    Mister Max, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Dominic

    Dominic Guest

    I've looked carefully, and there are no bent pins, and no pins which
    appear visibly out of line. Also, the initial symptom was that the
    card was hard to remove (after being in place for > 1 year perhaps).

    I think the whole thing is out of whack, and the holes are not lining
    up with the pins. The camera has not been used excessively over the
    past couple of years, and I've looked after it (it could pass for
    new), and certainly it hasn't ever been dropped etc. Any other ideas?

    Dom

    Dominic, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Dominic

    Alan F Cross Guest

    Have you tried another card? Could be one or more 'receptacles' have
    shifted behind the plastic.

    Alan F Cross, Dec 31, 2003
  6. Have you tried with a different CF card? (Sorry if this seems patronising
    ..... there could be a bit of dirt or corrosion in the holes in the card).

    Eddie B.

    Eddie Bromhead, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Dominic

    Mark M Guest

    It may be that there is some sort of sticky residue on the pins that were
    transfered there from a sticky card. It seems far fetched, but with no bent
    pins, there are few alternative explanations.
    So...
    ....If you have an old card--one that is of such small capacity as to be
    fairly worthless (like a 16MB card or less), you might try using an
    eyedropper to drip rubbing alcohol into the female card holes. Then (after
    removing all batteries from the camera), try putting the wet card into the
    camera, being careful to put the card in while the hole openings are
    pointing upward (this will prevent the alcohol from dripping into other
    internal parts of the camera). Each time to pull the wet card out, use a
    paper towel to dry the holes, allowing whatever moisture to be drawn out as
    much as possible. Then repeat this a number of times. If there is any
    sticky residue on the pins, this should clear much/most/all of it. Then...
    Try using a card that you have never inserted into the camera (find/borrow
    another worthless small MB card if need be), and try it in your camera a few
    times.

    **If this works, great...but don't put your old card back into your camera
    yet, as this will simply tranfer more gunk remaining in your card. You'll
    have to go through some sort of similar routine to clean your cards--though
    it's more complicated, since you'll need a male pin set that you can
    repeated clean (perhaps a discarded/cheapie card reader--I have several of
    these).

    Mark M, Dec 31, 2003