Ive found another connector

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by neville, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. neville

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    neville wrote:
    > I cant see where it fits , its got six wires three black two orange and a
    > red one?Is it important or should I just ignore it.

    Surprised nobody knows, although it is a late introduction just coming
    into the mainstream.

    It is the AFP (Auto Format Protect) connector which stops accidental
    formatting of hard drives. It should be a small connector, but some of
    the older boards were produced with larger connectors, so to use you may
    need an adapter, but I have found an old audio cable as used on CDs
    works fine. Only two wires are used, the red and orange, and are
    connected to the DS (DATA SAFE) connector on a compliant hard drive.

    In conjunction with XP SP2 or Linux later releases it stops accidental
    formatting of drives.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus