I've been without my computer working for 4 weeks, it has frequent spontaneous reboots while in wind

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shadowb170, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. Shadowb170

    Shadowb170 Guest

    I've been without my computer working for 4 weeks, it has frequent
    spontaneous reboots while in windows, chkdsk, and
    safemode, however never reboot's while in the bios or the prompt. I
    was able to force it to show me an
    error message before it rebooted from an attempt into safe mode, not
    sure what to make of this yet, been looking around,
    I was wondering if any of you had any idea what i am looking at here.

    BAD_POOL_CALLER

    Technical Information

    *** STOP: 0x000000C2( 0x000000000000000048
    0xFFFFFA800002E000
    0x000000000000002E
    0x0000000068800000 )

    The other thing I've noticed is if it's been about a week of having
    the computer powered down, I can get into
    windows without a problem for an hour or so before it starts having
    problems again. Also noticed the BIOS
    image at machine startup once displayed a single line of visual
    artifacts<a corrupted line>.

    Would lead me to think possibly the moterboard or graphics card if
    bios image is distorted..doesn't
    explain why machine reboot's only occur in windows<or a windows
    chkdsk>..windows error detection perhaps.

    Thanks.

    -Daniel Olen Montoya
    4:21 PM 9/1/2007

    Shadowb170, Sep 2, 2007

  2. Shadowb170

    Mike Easter Guest

    What happens if you boot it up with something like a linux distro live
    CD?

    You could give the hardware a workout without having anything to do with
    Win.

    Mike Easter, Sep 2, 2007

  3. Shadowb170

    RobV Guest

    wrote:

    [snip]
    [snip]

    Sounds like a heat problem. Open the computer up and clean house. Get
    rid of dust wherever you find it. Get a can of compressed air and clean
    any fans in the system; case fans, graphics card, and especially the CPU
    heatsink and fan. Make sure that all fans are running.

    RobV, Sep 2, 2007
  4. Shadowb170

    meerkat Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q265879

    http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=21385

    A couple of examples here, but also check in your Event Viewer
    for errors, that might help.

    bw..

    meerkat, Sep 2, 2007
  5. wrote @r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:
    I might concur with Rob V, on the heat thing.

    The STOP: error should look like this:

    STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000048, 0x etc.

    There can only be 8 characters after the x. Is this Win2K? See here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q265879/

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    /browse_thread/thread/e99f7a43ec95b1af/af4d4de9207319e4?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1
    #af4d4de9207319e4

    or the same link, shortened:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/229sx5

    I'd first try the instructions for heat & if the computer runs longer
    than an hour !AND! if you are handy<if not, take your computer to a
    trusted geek>, I would also reseat the heatsink on the processor with
    new thermal grease.

    Insist to said geek *specifically* to use Arctic Silver....;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Sep 2, 2007