iTunes for Windows (free)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by harry, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. harry

    harry Guest

    harry, Oct 17, 2003

  2. harry

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 17, 2003

  3. harry

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 17, 2003
  4. harry

    madknoxie Guest

    Sneaky? You probably need it for iTunes to function fully?

    madknoxie, Oct 17, 2003
  5. harry

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    What do you mena by "sneaky"? It's not going to do anything useful
    without QuickTime.

    What I'd like to hear from a Windows user is whether it also installs
    WebCore (aka KHTML).

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 17, 2003
  6. harry

    madknoxie Guest

    Shyte, hell did freeze over...

    This will make the iPod that much more enjoyable if you are on Windows -
    its fantastic on the Mac. This should also mean the iTunes Music Store
    cements its position in the online music market.

    madknoxie, Oct 17, 2003
  7. harry

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    Yeah, they had 70% of it last week anyway, and that was selling to only
    Mac users.

    AOL are going to send a *lot* of customers their way, as is Pepsi (100
    *million* codes for the free song of your choice given away in Pepsi
    bottle caps!)

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 17, 2003
  8. harry

    madknoxie Guest

    I feel quite excited for them! But I wonder how much money is in it for
    them. Even with 13 million songs sold - thats still only USD$13million.
    For billion dollar companies like Apple, thats probably not much to be
    excited about especially when their margin per song is only something
    like 10c. Its probably cost them more than that to develop it and load
    all the songs on there.

    Maybe they're in this to sell more iPods - that might be where the money
    is for them. I'd like to see what the figures are after Windows users
    start buying songs and iTunesMS spreads throughout the rest of the
    world. I can't wait till it gets here! End of the year maybe? Has anyone
    heard anything about it?

    madknoxie, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Suddenly, Bruce Hoult sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    Looks like it. It's got HTMLish content but doesn't behave like IE or
    Mozilla ie. I can't select and copy from it (grr).

    On the whole the interface is typical Apple, quite nice looking but
    breaking a number of conventions... well OK basically all of them at
    some level. But gee, it is purty...

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Suddenly, harry sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    Doesn't work in NZ. Of course. I wonder if in 2010 we will still have no
    online services available.

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 17, 2003
  11. harry

    madknoxie Guest

    Such as?

    madknoxie, Oct 17, 2003
  12. harry

    harry Guest

    For Linux/BSD users there is a nice player application called rhythmbox
    http://www.rhythmbox.org/ which integrates with a ripper called
    sound-juicer. http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/sound-juicer

    harry, Oct 18, 2003
  13. harry

    Foo Guest

    But is it good? hmm, maybe i should d/l and have a look myself.....i think i
    need a change from my current player!

    Foo, Oct 18, 2003
  14. Suddenly, madknoxie sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    Starters for 10

    - can't resize by any edge except the bottom right corner
    - cannot be maximized properly only "to fit"?? or something
    - no maximize button
    - no way to preview a track except double click (ie. no button to do the
    same).
    - entirely skinned interface, no standard windows controls
    - doesn't respect the OS setting to always show underlined menu keys
    - clicking on the title bar resizes it in some fashion (actually I
    suspect that's a bug and it's mean to do it on double click)
    - to search, you have to press enter; there's no "Search Now" button.
    - no system menu
    - no stop button (!)

    A lot of these are inherited from Mac, I think; that doesn't make them a
    good (or even acceptable) thing on Windows.

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 18, 2003
  15. Suddenly, Foo sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    Depends on your definition of good. It's quite functional and mostly
    easy to use.

    But be aware you can't buy any music in NZ.

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 18, 2003
  16. harry

    T.N.O. Guest

    Well, I downloaded it, and added all my media to it's play lists, but it is
    slower and a bit more clunky than winamp.

    maybe I'm just used to Winamp, but it will stay the default for the moment.

    T.N.O., Oct 18, 2003
  17. Every action seems to be delayd.

    Have to highlight something before doubleclicking to play it

    Seems to skip more then foobar2000 does

    I rate it a B+

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Oct 18, 2003
  18. harry

    madknoxie Guest

    I guess things need to be a little different if you want sheep to use
    it...

    madknoxie, Oct 18, 2003
  19. harry

    Peter S Guest

    Wow - it's great, especially with the iPod. The only bad thing about it is
    that it is slower at ripping than Musicmatch, and the tagging functions are
    not as good (SmartTagging in Musicmatch rules).

    iTunes also takes over the functionality of the iPods disk mode a little
    more - the PC is a lot more automatic than previously at syncing with the
    iPod.

    Gotta love Apple - they produce slick product.

    Peter S, Oct 18, 2003
  20. harry

    Craig Koller Guest

    Heh. You've probably never experienced MS software on the Mac then ...
    it goes both ways. As a dual-platform guy, I prefer the interface
    guidelines of the Mac a bit more than the Windows UI paradigm. Just my
    taste.

    Let's be honest. What Apple is doing is two things: selling songs and
    iPods to Windows users, and perpetuating the Apple brand beyond the
    border of the Mac desktop. The inconsistencies you acknowledge above
    are minor IMO, and in some cases improvements. Missing buttons
    reflects MS' penchant for button clutter ... maybe because a busy
    interface looks like you're getting more features. Apple streamlines
    things (sometimes too much, admittedly).

    For example, referencing your points above, there *is* a stop button
    (you mean for stopping previews, right?). It's the same global stop
    button in the upper left that stops *everything* in iTunes. And the
    "preview" button? You just push the play button (in the same location
    as the stop button when nothing's playing). Or double click. It's very
    simple. Very intuitive. And much less cluttered.

    But it's free software. I'd daresay Apple could have charged a nominal
    fee, or bundled licenses with iPods, and still done just fine. But
    again, what they're out to do is expand the Apple brand and make some
    money. If you watch Jobs' keynote online, you'll see that iTunes
    provides some great futures that WMP and MMJB don't. It's a slick,
    free MP3 ripper and CD burner, aside from the iTunes music store,
    which just keeps getting better with more content, bio's, etc. (No, I
    don't work for Apple, I just frankly like the iTunes/iPod package...)

    If this makes MS sweat a little, then that's good for all of us.
    Because the worst thing for everyone is a complacent Microsoft...

    P.S. Thanks NZ, for Crowded House. Neil Finn is a prominent name on my
    iTunes list!

    Craig Koller, Oct 18, 2003