It's not easy to find a Panasonic FZ5 in stock.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charles Schuler, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. The supply channel seems to be empty. I'd bet that Panasonic is busy right
    now. Sales must be remarkable.

    Charles Schuler, Apr 17, 2005

  2. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    Something happened. The FZ5 wasn't released as planned on April 10th.
    Even the Panasonic website says ship date is expected to be 30 May 2005.

    I called, but the woman who talked to me either didn't know or couldn't
    relay it very well. A bit of a language barrier there. I ended the call
    not knowing why they aren't out, yet.

    Eric Babula, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Charles Schuler

    Markeau Guest

    Some over at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
    have FZ5's, so yes it was released.

    Markeau, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    I think it was released outside the US. Maybe it was in the US for a bit
    - I'm not sure. Doesn't seem to be, anymore.

    I was watching for this one. I was thinking of buying it on
    butterflyphoto.com. They showed that it was in stock, and it was dropping
    from $499.99 down to $429.99, with no shipping charge. Suddenly, there
    was a shipping charge. Then, the price went back up to $449.99. Then, the
    price went back up to $499.99 plus shipping. Then, it was "Not In Stock".
    I looked at a bunch of other sites, and they all said "Not In Stock",
    too. Don't know what happened. But, it was a very quick (maybe 3 days)
    change from in stock to not in stock. Could all of these sites have sold
    out all their FZ5s in a matter of days? Possible, but I kinda doubt it -
    especially since the Panasonic website has changed their shipping date to
    30 May, 2005.

    Eric Babula, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Charles Schuler

    Markeau Guest

  6. Charles Schuler

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    FZ5? For size? Why not FZ20?
    I like my 20.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, Apr 18, 2005
  7. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    Now, I see that buydig.com is listing that it's In Stock, too. You think
    they're telling the truth, or is it a line of BS?

    I just checked panasonic.com again, and now they're listing a ship date
    of 01 June 2005. What's up with that? Why would Panasonic not have their
    own camera in stock to be shipped next day???

    No comprendo.

    Eric Babula, Apr 18, 2005
  8. Charles Schuler

    Jack Rosier Guest

    Lotsa luck finding a FZ20k.
    There isn't a REPUTABLE seller with one in stock.
    Guess I'll just have to be patient for a couple or three more weeks....

    Jack Rosier, Apr 18, 2005
  9. Charles Schuler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, price may have some part in making that choice. Some of actually
    don't have unlimited funds to indulge our hobbies. Professionals view
    the price issue in a totally different light. To them, it is a matter
    of spending money on good tools to make more money. To a hobbyist, it
    often is a choice between a new camera and a trip to see Grandma.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 18, 2005
  10. Charles Schuler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Perhaps they have 50,000 of them on a ship which is just leaving the
    harbor where the camera are assembled....

    Ron Hunter, Apr 18, 2005
  11. That was precisely why I chose the FZ5 over my wife's FZ20. Size, bulk,
    weight etc. The capabilities are the same as the FZ20 with two
    differences: the lens is only f/3.3 at full zoom rather than f/2.8 (with
    fewer elements I recall), and there is no hot shoe. Apart from that -
    same camera, same capabilities. No surprise the initial batch sold out so
    quickly.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 18, 2005
  12. Charles Schuler

    measekite Guest

    This is from the Panasonic WebStore on the Panasonic WebSite. It is
    shipping and available.

    *DMC-FZ5K
    <http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702>*

    Lumix® 5 Megapixel Digital Camera with MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer,
    12x Zoom & Fast Auto Focus, Black
    Free UPS Ground Shipping <Javascript:ShowShippingHelp();>

    Currently Available $499.95 $499.95

    measekite, Apr 18, 2005
  13. Charles Schuler

    measekite Guest

    You must be on the wrong site This is from the Panasonic webstore.

    measekite, Apr 18, 2005
  14. Charles Schuler

    measekite Guest

    How much practical differene is there between a constant 2.8 and a
    variable to 3.3?
    For people that use a DSLR for real serious stuff but do not want to
    drag all the stuff around then I cannot see that the lack of a hot shoe
    is all that critical.

    measekite, Apr 18, 2005
  15. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    That just changed. Over the weekend, it still said Ship Date of 01 June
    2005.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
    of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
    But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
    totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

    Eric Babula, Apr 18, 2005
  16. Charles Schuler

    Stewy Guest

    There doesn't seem to be any shortage here in Nara - but if course,
    they're made here. I'm very impressed with it and am saving my pennies
    to get one.

    Stewy, Apr 19, 2005
  17. Very little at maximum zoom, according to the two test images I took.
    Haven't compared barrel distortion at wide-angle, though.

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 19, 2005
  18. Charles Schuler

    Vic Dura Guest

    Is Nara in China?

    Vic Dura, Apr 19, 2005
  19. Where do you see this?
    When I add one to the cart it says "currently available"...

    alan

    Alan Strassberg, Apr 19, 2005
  20. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    (Alan Strassberg) wrote in

    It is available, now. For a time on the Panasonic site it was listed as
    Ship Date of 30 May 2005 (when you went to check out), and then changed
    to 01 June 2005. Now, it seems to be available on the Panasonic website.

    I'm not sure what happened. A number of sites seemed to show it
    available just after April 10th. Then, suddenly, all of them changed
    their sites to say "Not In Stock". Strange to me. But some sites seem to
    have it in stock now, so all must be ok again.

    Eric Babula, Apr 20, 2005